Upgrading to VS2019 – missing windows?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Upgrading to VS2019 – missing windows?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CrzyRndm
    Participant

In the process of upgrading my workstation to use VS2019, and all went smoothly with VGDB except I can’t find the windows that are listed in the view menu dropdown in VS2017 (e.g. memory explorer). I haven’t extensively checked past compiling/debugging

VGDB version: 5.4r6 (3190)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately, it’s hard to say what is going on without knowing more details.

Please describe exactly what you are doing after your start Visual Studio, what you expect to see and what you actually observe (see our error reporting tips).

Please also attach a screenshot of the entire VS window showing the loaded project in Solution Explorer and the missing menu commands and we will help you understand what is going on.

CrzyRndm
    Participant

Apologies, I had the incorrect project selected as startup in VS2019 -.-

While searching for the solution to this, I did however find that in neither version can I find a way to open the general disassembly view without stepping into a libc function (e.g. sprintf) during debugging? This is with an embedded project

support
    Keymaster

Please try Debug->Windows->Disassembly, or right-clicking anywhere in the source and selecting “go to disassembly”.

CrzyRndm
    Participant

Correction, these views are only available while in a debug session (I’m really blind today…). Any particular reason for this? (disassembly can be quite useful for general analysis)

support
    Keymaster

The reason is the Visual Studio design. The regular disassembly window is a part of the debugging GUI and only appears during debug sessions.

To view the disassembly outside a debug session, please use the disassembly view in VisualGDB’s embedded memory explorer. It works independently from Visual Studio’s disassembly interfaces and was added exactly for this use case.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.