Toolchain arm-eabi-gcc7.2.0-r2 and libcompactcpp

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Toolchain arm-eabi-gcc7.2.0-r2 and libcompactcpp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    devrope
    Participant

Hi, when upgrading to the latest arm-eabi toolchain our project fails to compile, something about the flag -lcompactcpp.
    When comparing the files installed with previous toolchain 6.2.0 I see all the libcompactcpp.a/h/cpp files are missing.

Our project is pretty old now, created with VGDB 4.x, using Make and is made standalone.
    But everything works fine with arm-eabi-gcc6.2.0-r4 and VisualGDB 5.3r5

/Roger

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This happens because the newer gcc includes optimizations that make the libcompactcpp library unnecessary, so it was removed from the latest release. Please try opening VisualGDB Project Properties and clicking the regenerate button (it it’s not shown, try changing any of the MCU-related settings and restoring it back). This should rebuild all toolchain-specific settings and remove the references to the missing library.

devrope
    Participant

Ok, but how do I change any MCU-settings so I can find the “regenerate” button? The project is standalone.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

For a stand-alone project please simply remove “compactcpp” from the list of libraries in the first page of VisualGDB Project properties.

devrope
    Participant

I don’t see compactcpp on that settings page…
    The only reference I can find is in stm32.mak: LIBRARY_NAMES += compactcpp

When I removed that and rebuilt, it failed on my uses of std::array<>.

support
    Keymaster

The one from the LIBRARY_NAMES is the correct one (you would also need to remove it from the stm32.xml file as otherwise it will get regenerated).

std::array<> should not be related to compactcpp. Please feel free to post the errors you get and we will help you resolve them.

parsec67
    Participant

Hi,

I also encountered this exact issue after upgrading (MSBuild project) and clicking the Regenerate MCU files fixed the problem.

Having said that, this had me stumped for a good hour before I eventually found this post. I would like to put in a suggestion that, if possible, breaking changes such as this one are documented somewhere on your website for each public release so that this and similar problems can be more easily anticipated when updating VGDB. What I’m saying is, if I had read something like “Change: compactcpp lib removed: Fix: Rebuild MCU files” beforehand I would have already known the cause of the problem and saved a lot of time. Even a simple readme text file next to the download link is better than no information at all.

Thanks for an otherwise great product.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem, we have added an automatic warning for this case in the upcoming v5.3R8.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.