Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hoterpone
    Participant

I’m also now occasionally getting a popup window that says “Warning: cannot perform inline build: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” when trying to initiate a build.  Restarting Visual Studio seems to make the build work normally again.

support
    Keymaster

No problem. Please try enabling diagnostic logging via View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console. Then please try reproducing the problem and attach the full log from the diagnostics console here.

hoterpone
    Participant

Here is the error from the diagnostics console:

inline build failed: —————— System.NullReferenceException ——————
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at cq1.l4(TestFrameworkDefinition b, UnitTestTargetInfo a)
    at un1..ctor(VisualGDBProjectSettings2 b, th c, IDELevelProjectInfoForBuilding a, sm d)
    at y81.b(VisualGDBProjectSettings2 a, IDELevelProjectInfoForBuilding b)
    at y81..ctor(VisualGDBProjectSettings2 a, IDELevelProjectInfoForBuilding c, sm b, Boolean d)
    at i71..ctor(VisualGDBProjectSettings2 f, c b, IFormattedBuildLogLineSink e, BuildMode d, Int32 c, Boolean a)
    at ln1.l(Byte[] a, ws1 b)
    trace=[cq1.l4:1549, un1..ctor:13, y81.b:11, y81..ctor:72, i71..ctor:44, ln1.l:130]

Let me know if you need everything else from the log, but it’s quite large from running all day long.  Each attempt to rebuild in Visual Studio would produce another instance of the above messages.  After restarting Visual Studio things seem to work properly again.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the log. Just to double-check, could you please confirm the build number from the Help->About VisualGDB window?

hoterpone
    Participant

It says “version 5.5 (build 3827)”.  But like I said at https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/build-errors-after-upgrading-to-visualgdb-5-5-preview-7/page/2/#post-29130, it’s not clear to me how I got this version – I thought that I had clicked on a link that said VisualGDB-5.5.8.3784.msi at https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/build-errors-after-upgrading-to-visualgdb-5-5-preview-7/page/2/#post-28996 (though this link doesn’t seem to work any more).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by hoterpone.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for confirming this. It looked like an issue that was recently fixed, so we wanted to double-check that it is not caused by using an old build. We also moved this into a separate forum thread, as the issue appears different from the one discussed in the original thread.

Either way, this looks like the connection between VisualGDB and the floating license server gets lost, and the floating license state is not updated properly. If you could create a ticket for this via our support form, we can send you a private link to a special diagnostic build that should help narrow it down. Please do let us know what version of Visual Studio you are using so that we can double-check it on our side first.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.