Signed integer types intellisense error

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Signed integer types intellisense error

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Blutti
    Participant

When debugging with VisualGDB, the ‘signed-ness’ seems to be wrong in the intellisense. Using the following code:
    <Type> difference;
    <Type> desiredVal = 10;
    <Type> actualVal = 21;
    difference = desiredVal - actualVal;

difference should be -11 for signed types and some random large number (type_max – 10) for unsigned types. However, it does not follow these rules for some reason.
    From the limited debugging I found that the following types are correct “(un)signed int” & “(un)signed char” and I assume other “standard” types like these will work correctly as well.
    However it using the “(u)intN_t” types, this behaviour seems to be flipped. For example when using the “uint8_t” type it returns as -11. And if you use “int8_t” it returns 245.

It should be noted that it will behave normally in other code. For example if the following code is appended to the code above:
    if (difference < -10)
    int a = 2;

The “intN_t” types will hit the int a = 2 line. While “uintN_t” types will, correctly, skip it.
    The issue appears to be only visual.

I am using VisualGDB on an STM32F411VET (devboard) with the following package versions:
    ARM toolchain: 6.2.0/7.12/r3
    STM32 Devices: 4.2
    OpenOCD: 20161025

*Edited to fix code blocks (twice :))

• This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Blutti.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Blutti.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have recently fixed a similar problem in our development branch. Please try this build to see if it solves the problem: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.3.1.1554.msi

If not, please let us know what type is shown for those variables in the Watch window (VisualGDB uses it to determine the correct format).

Blutti
    Participant

This build appears to solve the problem. Thank you for the quick responds!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.