Seeing the actual command line used for compiling with MSBuild

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Seeing the actual command line used for compiling with MSBuild

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jmkresse
    Participant

When I use the Gmake option, I can see the actual command line used for compiling each file, etc., as it occurs.

I am trying to move a project from Gmake to MSBuild, but from examining the results of running the executable, it appears that perhaps a file was not compiled as expected.

I am trying to change the optimization level of just one file from -O3 to -Ofast, which in previous experiments using Gmake, has indicated a dramatic speedup in the code. Instead the code appears to be running much more slowly, as if it were perhaps compiled with the -O0 option.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can enable the global verbose mode via Tools->Options->VisualGDB->Common->Output->Verbose Mode.

jmkresse
    Participant

Thanks!

What is the best/recommended way to specify the -Ofast compiler option (instead of -O3, for example). It’s not one of the listed optimization options.

(I think I found a workaround, but don’t know if it’s the best/recommended way.)

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally you can just enter “-Ofast” in the corresponding field even if it’s not listed. VisualGDB will understand that you meant an out-of-list option and will handle it correctly.

jmkresse
    Participant

I enabled global verbose mode, but it still didn’t show me what the compiler command was when it executed it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jmkresse
    Participant

And I tried entering -Ofast, but it ignores it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If this is a locally built project, the regular VS verbosity setting (Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->Build and Run->MSBuild project build output verbosity) should get VisualGDB to show the command lines. Alternatively you could simply check the .rsp files (they contain saved command lines). The regular Visual Studio Command Line page won’t show the custom options.

Please also ensure you are using the latest VisualGDB 5.2r9.

jmkresse
    Participant

Thanks! That helped a lot!

Now, there is still the issue that if I specify an optimization level of -Ofast, it is ignored. (And I am using VisualGDB 5.2r9.)

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

As a quick test, could you confirm that the same problem exists with v5.3 Preview 4? If yes, please try creating a “hello, world” project demonstrating the issue and attach it here (or send it to us via the support form). We should be able to investigate this and suggest a workaround or fix it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.