Project with different targets and no BSP

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Project with different targets and no BSP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    uTasker
    Participant

Hi All

I have a VisualStudio project that has 2 configuration targets:

1. Standard VS target that runs on the PC in native x86 mode with Local Windows Debugger
    2. Embedded target that rus on an NXP Kinetis K64 processor with VisualGDB Debugger

There are two main problems that I am trying to resolve.

The first is that if I configure the second configuration for the embedded target I need to use a BSP, whereby it is a self contained project that doesn’t need a BSP. To temporarily work around this I have relocated the BSP copy explicitly to a local directory and put the <span>BSP.XML</span> there. In that directory I created folders and empty c files to satisfy the environment wanting to build <span>startup.c</span>, <span>vectors_K64F12.c</span> and <span>system_MK64F12.c</span>. Like this is builds and I can load and debug.

However this causes a problem with the native target (1.). This builds as normal up the point when it also wants to build the same file names, which it can’t locate and thus fails. I don’t see where these are being included from in that target configuration but it must be coming from the VisualGDBDebugger target somehow (before adding the second target configuration it didn’t have this issus).

My question is therefore, how should this be correctly/cleanly solved? Is it possible to configure without needing a BSP which would probably be the simplest solution in this case. Or how could I use a dummy BSP that I can configure just to get linker scripts from, but at the same time not influence the other target configurations as this is presently the case?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards

Mark
    [uTasker project developer for STM32, Kinetis and i.MX RT]

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We would normally advise to use the regular BSP mechanism and then explicitly set the “Excluded from build” flag (not “Exclude from Project”) for the BSP-specific files in the native configuration.

The “Excluded from Build” flag is set for each platform/configuration independently, so it will only affect the configurations where you set it. VisualGDB will not overwrite this flag when regenerating BSP-specific files, so the VisualGDB-specific configurations will also work as intended.

You can read more about combining multiple platforms and configurations in the same project here: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/porting/multiplatform/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.