Portable WinCDEmu – Minor annoyances

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Portable WinCDEmu – Minor annoyances

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

1. It would be a nice feature with drag-and-drop functionality – Drag an image file to WinCDEmu window, and it automatically maps a new drive.

2. When browsing for an image file, network drives doesn’t appear. Typing the full UNC path does however work fine, but it would be a bit easier with support for network drives ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Minimize to tray and maybe even right-click functionality when in tray. In my perfect world, WinCDEmu would automatically minimize to tray when clicking the X, if there are image files mapped.

I think thats just about it – Other than that, it’s pretty much a perfect tool! Thanks…

Cheers

/BeerSmurf

support
    Keymaster

Thought about it. Drag-n-drop won’t work through UAC. A non-privileged application (e.g. Explorer) cannot send a message to a privilleged application (WinCDEmu mounter). WinCDEmu mounter cannot remain unprivilleged, as it needs to install and access the kernel driver.
    As for the other features, I’ll see what I can do, but it won’t be very soon, as I don’t currently have much time to spend on the project.
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I just made a quick test (more to come) with the portable edition. The idea is fine, but still one has to have admin-rights (yes, I know, because of the driver-issue). That’s kind of un-portable, but I see your point -> one can carry WinCDEmu along. :thumbs-up:
    What amkes me wonder (to be honest baffled): I ran it on a system where 3.3 was installed. Guess what happened after I clicked “Uninstall Driver” …? *correct* the driver was uninstalled. But the one that was on the system before… :-/ If you give the option to do so, you should give the option to permanent install the driver. Would you consider that?
    Just my two cents.

Best regards!

support
    Keymaster

Guess what happened after I clicked “Uninstall Driver” …? *correct* the driver was uninstalled. But the one that was on the system before… :-/

Are you absolutely really sure? This is very wierd. The two drivers use totally different installation/uninstallation mechanisms. Could you describe, what made you believe the wrong driver was uninstalled? Maybe, there are some CDROM class filters tampering around?

The idea is fine, but still one has to have admin-rights (yes, I know, because of the driver-issue).

Well, this is beyond my powers. You need to be an admin to install drivers and you need to install the drivers to add virtual devices. If you need a ‘non-admin’-portable way of accessing ISO files, use 7-zip or any other archiver that would just extract it on your disk, or a file manager with an ISO parsing plugin.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hello everyone,

the error did sit in front of the monitor…
    The reason for my statement has been the fact that an error was thrown (checked it again this morning). But this was because I tried to start 3.4 beta allthough 3.3 had mounted an image at that time. I’ll try to link to a screenshot:

Regarding that driver-as-admin-thing: yes, I do know that, and I won’t complain. TrueCrypt suffers from the same fact. It’s just kind of sad, because one will not often have the chance to be admin on other machines. And if one is admin there, well, one could install WinCDEmu. But your solution is is still nice to have ๐Ÿ™‚

Best regards!

Anonymous
    Participant

Hello everyone,

next try for the screenshot:
    http://remixshare.com/dl/1a9zp/error.jpg

Best regards!

support
    Keymaster

The link is not working (says “disable your adblock software to download”). Please register at the forum and use the ‘upload file’ function.

Vacon
    Participant

Hello everyone,

@bazis wrote:

The link is not working (says “disable your adblock software to download”). Please register at the forum and use the ‘upload file’ function.

well, now I’m registered at the forum and cannot find a button / link / entry where and how to upload files. Either way I have tried to re-upload the picture to RemixShare:

Translated (from german into english, to the best of my knowledge):
    “The specified service could not be started. It is de-activated or connected with not activated devices.”

Best regards!

support
    Keymaster

OK. The portable WinCDEmu always uses its own driver and does not know anything about the “normal WinCDEmu driver”. I don’t see any reason to use portable WinCDEmu GUI while having the normal WinCDEmu installed.
    As for the driver, the ‘uninstall’ button just removed the portable driver, making the PortableWinCDEmu GUI useless. Normally, it should reinstall the driver next time it is started. If this does not happen, remove the BazisPortableCDBus service manually and re-run the portable GUI. The normal WinCDEmu GUI should not interfere with the portable driver as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.