Managing mBed libraries in Visual Studio

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Managing mBed libraries in Visual Studio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    georgeedwards
    Participant

Is there a recommended way to manage dependencies in Visual Studio (particularly with mBed). It seems that with the default project setup, all the core mBed header files are kept in the Project > Debug file.

Take for example the BLE_API from ARM. I can download it from this link, for a specific platform (I chose nrf51-DK). Then I can choose the toolchain, my options are GccARM, uVision5, EmBlocks, IAR, uVision4, ZIP Archive. It seems that GccARM or ZIP Archive are most likely to work, the built option includes a MakeFile, then both contain a folder tree with the project source. What should I import, wherein the project should these be kept?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We would recommend exporting it as GccARM, unpacking the archive to any location within your source control system and then simply using the “Import Folder Recursively” command to import those files into your project.

If you run into problems with missing include files, you can try a daily build of VisualGDB 5.2 that has experimental support for repairing them automatically. Let us know if you want to try it out and we’ll post a link to it.

georgeedwards
    Participant

Yes, please do explain about the daily builds and the auto repair function. I have done what you said, created a file in my git root called library and added BLE_API to it. I then dragged those files into the Resource Files folder in my Visual Studio Solution Explorer. They all added, but now I am getting issues like this:

All suggestions welcome 🙂

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.2.5.895.msi

When you open a project with missing include paths, it will show a bar like this:

By default it will try to locate the headers in the subdirectories of the project directory and source file directories, but you can also specify search directories manually.

Once the directories are located, VisualGDB will offer automatically adding them to Project Properties:

If this does not work, please let us know. It’s a very early preview build and it may have strange bugs, however we absolutely welcome feedback on them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.