Makefile filename gets changed and make fails

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Makefile filename gets changed and make fails

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hindus
    Participant

Hi, I’ve developed my Raspberry Pi  C++ application for a while and everything was working all right. I moved to other project and returned yesterday, after few months.

At first I got some build errors.

1>  make: *** No rule to make target 'Debug/DEVICE~1.CPP', needed by 'Debug/DeviceController'.  Stop.

Solution clean didn’t do the trick so I double check project properties. Everything was ok. What is more, 1 out of 3 projects in my previously working solution was building ok.

I reverted everything with git to the point I knew it was working, together with project and configuration files. Again, it failed with error.

Then I realised that there is this DOS-compatible 8-char file name in my makefile, and it was the only change that appeared (according to git) after I clicked Local Windows Debugger in my Visual Studio. Somehow running the build changed:

SOURCEFILES := DeviceController.cpp ZoneTime.cpp

to

SOURCEFILES := DEVICE~1.CPP ZoneTime.cpp

And this caused make to fail. I fixed the name, run build again and the name changed, causing make to fail. I tried one more thing and run make from the cmd, using paths from Output window. Everything went smooth and make finished with no errors. I ran it from Visual Studio = error. I ran it with cmd again – error. So clearly there is something that causes that name change. I am 100% sure it was working previously and as you can see, the only problem is that changed name.

Does anyone know why it’s happening? I could change the name, but why was it working before and now isn’t?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by hindus.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB could do that as a workaround if you project path contains spaces (otherwise Make won’t handle dependencies properly). Please move the project to a path with no spaces.

hindus
    Participant

Moving my project folders and solution file to path without spaces resolved my issue. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.