Kinetis K64 Support

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Kinetis K64 Support

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    phildimond
    Participant

Is there a plan to add support for Kinetis K64 devices and the FRDM-K64F board to the product?

I am currently evaluating, but (based on testing so far) VisualGDB is an excellent product. I’m really impressed at the ease of cross-platform development. Unless I uncover some dramatic issue I will almost certainly take out at least one licence in the next few days.

Phil

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Based on our statistics the Kinetis devices are among the least commonly used. Hence we will be prioritizing support for other device families before. If you want to get it to work earlier, we can provide instructions on specifying the necessary flags manually. Just let us know.

phildimond
    Participant

If you have those instructions, that would be great – even if there is just a manual somewhere. I can work out the arm gcc compiler flags myself fairly easily.

I agree that the Kinetis devices are less used than ST or NXP, but the K64 family might change things somewhat – a great combination of cost, package and functionality, and for the enthusiasts the FRDM-K64F board is great value for an Ethernet capable board.

We (our tiny company) are actually looking at moving new designs from LPC4088s to K64s for those reasons, which is why I’m asking.

Thanks!

Phil

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply. We have made a detailed tutorial on targeting unsupported devices here: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/legacy/
    Let me know if you have any questions.

phildimond
    Participant

Thank you – the timing was surprising. I logged in for the first time in a week just as you posted the reply!

I was just starting to play with getting an STM32F4 project built from scratch using the STM32F4Cube libraries when you made the post. That is an easier task but the tutorial helped as I foget the startup.s code – which explains why the build succeeded but resulted in no code!

I’ll give this a spin with the FRDM-K64F in a few days.

I wanted to congratulate you on a great product. There must be some reason that theis is not more widely known, but I have no idea why. Finally – one environment where I can do embedded MCU code, embedded Linux and Windows CE code, plus Windows code, all in Visual Studio and with TFS Online source control .. what a great product. And yes, I bought one license and will probably buy a couple more for our other developers once I get the build templates mainstream.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the kind words. Making a product that is powerful and easy to use at the same time is our main intent.
    If you like VisualGDB, you can help it find new users by spreading the word. And if you have suggestions on improving it further, do not hesitate to post them here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.