Keep Remote Console open after debugging?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Keep Remote Console open after debugging?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BitFlipper
    Participant

Hi,

Is there a way to keep the VisualGDB Remote Console open after debugging stops? My debugging session contains color coded output from the debugged application, and when debugging ends the VGDB Remote Console goes away and I’m left with the standard VS Output window that does not support ANSI color codes (and hence has a lot of noisy output littered with color codes).

I realize I can put a breakpoint somewhere close to where the application exits, but it would be really nice if one can just keep the console open after debugging ends. Maybe just make it read-only at that point, or something?

Somewhat related… Is there a way to make the console hook F5 so that it continues debugging instead of printing it to the console? I often have the console active at a breakpoint, then want to continue running but pressing F5 just sends it to the console as “^[[15~”. I already have “Hook ‘Start Debugging(F5)'” set to True, but I believe this is not applicable to the Remote Console window.

Thanks in advance!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, please use the following setting:

VisualGDB Project Properties -> Debug Settings -> Program Output -> Keep Remote Console window after debugging ends

Regarding F5, normally unless you explicitly activate the console window by clicking on it, F5 should be handled by the Visual Studio itself and should result in continuing from the breakpoint.

BitFlipper
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks that worked, however now the problem is that right after debugging ends, a second (albeit blank)  VisualGDB Remote Console window is opened next to the original one and made active. I need to close this second window each time.

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

No problem, we have fixed the duplicate window issue in this build: VisualGDB-5.4.112.3249.msi

BitFlipper
    Participant

Excellent, that seems to have fixed the issue!

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.