Help Setting up debugging using Olimex

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Help Setting up debugging using Olimex

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mikejbedford
    Participant

Hello, we are evaluating VisualGDB and have the hope that we can get it all working so we can develop and debug our embedded c project(s) using Visual Studio. I have the Visual GDB plug in installed and working for the most part. Now I am trying to get the debugging all setup and working. I have read the tutorial on how to setup a debug probe but I still cannot get my tool to work. When I click the button to test OpenOCD settings, I get an error pop up that says “OpenOCD exited with Code 1. Please check your settings”.

​Here is what we have.
    ​1. Visual Studio 2013 and the latest version of VisualGDB (downloaded just a few days ago).
    ​2. We have the Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H tool for JTAG. It is hooked up to our PC using USB.
    ​3. We use NXP ARM Cortex CPUs. In one case, we are using NXP LPC1763.
    ​4. We are not using a development board but rather, our own board where we have broken out the JTAG headers.

​I hooked up the Olimex to the JTAG connector on our board and on first attempt, I did get a prompt stating that I did not have the USB drivers installed and would I like to install them. I did that and it appears to have worked successfully, however, now we are getting the error mentioned above when we try to test the connection.

​I tried mostly working with Quick Setup but I also get warning messages there. It prompts me to use Manual Setup but I have to be honest, even after reading the tutorial, I don’t understand how to correctly setup the Manual Setup for our scenario.

Can you please give us some guidance on how to get this setup properly? I would really appreciate the help.  We want this to work so we can purchase and switch to this platform. We are currently using CrossStudio for ARM by Rowley and also using their CrossConnect JTAG (luckily we also had this Olimex device on hand). However, if we can also get the CrossConnect working at some point, that would be a bonus since we have many of them. I would like to get this main issue resolved first though.

​Thank you in advance!

​Mike

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We normally recommend using Segger J-Link with the NXP devices, as it has much better support for them.
    If you prefer using OpenOCD with the Olimex JTAG, you would need to locate a target script that matches your chip and select it manually in the ‘Target’ field. Normally if you click the ‘find’ button there, you should be able to quickly locate a matching script. For LPC1763 it should be lpc17xx.cfg.

If this does not help, please let us know the error message you get when trying to use the lpc17xx script.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.