Environment variables

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Environment variables

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jsmith
    Participant

In addition to existing variables like $(ProjectDir) would be useful to have $(SolutionDir)

1. it is standard for VS native projects
    2. it is better to use $(SolutionDir.forwardslashes)/the_beast than $(ProjectDir.forwardslashes)/../../../../../../the_beast

Trivial, easy to workaround, but if you add at some point then it will just make VGDB perfect 🙂

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This might be tricky as the solution-level variables are not available to some parts of the build logic. Could you please clarify where exactly would you envision using this variable so that we could see if it could be supported?

jsmith
    Participant

For example – to speficify IDF path in build environment I need to set IDF_PATH=$(ProjectDir.forwardslashes)/../esp-idf

Folder structure is as follows:

Solution/

.git/

esp-idf-patched-and-customized/

Project1/

Project2/

ProjectN/

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The IDF_PATH should actually be handled by VisualGDB directly. Normally it takes the list of IDF checkouts from the toolchain directory, however if you are keeping a custom checkout together with your codebase, we could add a per-user list of IDF checkouts. So once you configure (once per development machine) that the “com.yourcompany.idf-patched” is located in c:\projects\idf, VisualGDB will find it automatically from all projects.

jsmith
    Participant

Hi,

IMO $(SolutionDir) could be more flexible. My other project is nRF5x based and also keeps nRF SDK within my source tree (project is a few years old – using latest nRF SDK would be stupid idea as it most likely will break everything). Don’t recall details but $(SolutionDir) would also work in nRF case while ‘IDF checkout’ solution – no.

It is just a suggestion – I’ve workaround and it works for me.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem. Please try this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.4.3.2268.msi

It adds support for $(SolutionDir) and $(SolutionPath) for ESP-IDF projects (only when built from Visual Studio).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.