Embedded Memory Explorer failure

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Embedded Memory Explorer failure

• This topic has 12 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by jona.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jona
    Spectator

I updated VGDB this morning and now, the Embedded Memory Explorer is saying “The current project is not an embedded project. Build Solution” I can no longer see mem usage? Is there a fix?

support
    Keymaster

The Embedded Memory Explorer is a part of our pre-release integration tests, so most likely the issue is caused by corrupt settings of one specific project. Please try checking if the memory explorer works for a newly created “LEDBlink project” (don’t forget to build it first) and if it does – try comparing the settings of the 2 projects. Alternatively please try building/debugging the broken project or opening VisualGDB Project Properties for it – you will likely get a more specific error message if some of the settings are corrupt.

jona
    Spectator

The project is fine, still building and running as it was before yesterday’s upgrade. Which settings in particular might affect this?

jona
    Spectator

OK.. this is a little weird! I loaded a project that is a couple months old and the Mem Explorer worked. Oddly, I also noticed that the “Visual GDB Project Properties ” was back under the Project Menu. I did not change any settings.

So I loaded my current project back in and built it and I can see the Memory Explorer again.  I checked the build of VGDB and it is 5.4R3 (build 3000).

I’m good to go now but I thought I should pass this along.

Thanks.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update. The behavior you described actually makes sense. The latest v5.4R3 update changed the way VisualGDB is loaded into Visual Studio. Instead of loading at startup (slowing down the Visual Studio load time), it will only fully load once you use any of its menu commands, or open a VisualGDB-compatible project.

Most likely, the project in question is modified in a way that prevents the VisualGDB loader from recognizing it and hence fully loading the VisualGDB extension. If you could attach just the .vcxproj file (or send it to our support in case it’s confidential), we should be able to see why it is not recognized and update VisualGDB to handle it properly.

jona
    Spectator

Project File Attached.

jona
    Spectator

oops.. sorry.. zip attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the project file. We have tried reproducing this on our side, however could not get the behavior you described, so we added more logging to the related logic in VisualGDB.

Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.4.103.3019.msi

Please open your project, confirm that the menus are still not shown, then click Help->About VisualGDB to force VisualGDB to load. Once it is loaded, open View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console and enable the logging. The console will already have the output from the project load hook. Please share it here and we will be able to see what is going on.

jona
    Spectator

Thank you very much.  For the moment, it is showing up. I have to get these projects out so I’m going to go with it the way it is for a bit.

grindstaffp
    Participant

I noticed this issue yesterday while working on a project. It seems that opening a project from the most recently used list (right click VS icon and select project) causes the issue in my case. Closing the project and starting Visual Studio then opening a project resolves the “not an embedded project” problem.

jona
    Spectator

That makes sense. That is how it resolved here.. pretty much.

support
    Keymaster

@grindstaffp, thanks for sharing the specific steps that helped us reproduce the issue on our side.

Indeed, this was a glitch caused by the new background loading mechanism introduced in R3. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.4.103.3020.msi

jona
    Spectator

Thank you once again sysprogs. Stellar support and response.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.