Debugging with Mono

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Debugging with Mono

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Maitredede
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to run/debug native code running Mono and managed code.

In the doc http://www.mono-project.com/docs/debug+profile/debug/ there is the gdb command to add to avoid annoying signals  that are the base of Mono : “<span class=”hljs-title”>handle</span> SIGXCPU SIG33 SIG35 SIGPWR nostop noprint”

I added them in the VisualGDB project settings, in “gdb startup commands”, both areas (before selecting target and after selecting target).

But I continue to have the debugger stop on theses signals.

When program is paused, I type the command in the gdb window, and I am no longer annoyed by those signals. But I have to do it each time I run my program…

What do I have missed ? Or is there any workaround ?

Also, do you think it is possible to debug my managed code under Mono through VisualGDB ?

Thanks.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB has its own mechanism for handling signal behavior. Please use the ‘signals’ button in the GDB Session window (the yellow lightning bolt icon). This will set the signal settings properly and remember them for the next session.

Regarding C# debugging, gdb does not support this out-of-the-box, however VisualGDB SDK has an interface for parsing high-level frames (i.e. extracting code location and variable values by manually interpreting the values of the normal C/C++ variables or CPU registers). If you are willing to figure out how to extract that data for Mono frames, yes you can easily hook that up to VisualGDB and we can provide more details on that.

Maitredede
    Participant

Hi,

For Mono debugging, I looked at the api docs and the docs but I don’t think I will have time to look at the VisualGDB SDK. Also I am on the VisualGDB trial version, my company has not yet bought me a licence.
    If I had time, I would look at integration myself. I know that Mono embedding is not a common use case (the biggest Mono embedded project I know is Unity3D). And VisualGDB save me a lot of time. This would have been a bonus if Mono support was integrated. Either by allowing debugging of Mono embedded applications, or debugging of plain Mono applications. This could be a new feature of next VisualGDB major version. 😉

For the signal handling, I will try later this day.

Thanks 🙂

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the advice, we will consider that if Mono popularity continues to grow.

michal.dobrodenka
    Participant

We are considering VisualGDB for STM32 development. But ability to debug also our Mono applications on Linux would be great!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Currently it looks like Mono is going to get deprecated in favor of .Net Core (and Microsoft might support remote .Net Core debugging natively), so we won’t be targeting Mono on the near future. Hence the only way to support Mono would be via writing a plugin using our high-level frame extension API.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.