Debugging on a Samsung Galaxy S4

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Debugging on a Samsung Galaxy S4

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DanS
    Participant

I’m evaluating Visual GDB for Android using a Samsung Galaxy S4. I can debug fine on an older Android device but am having trouble doing so on the S4. it gives the error:
    run-as: Package ‘com.visualgdb.example.AndroidProject2’ is unknown

I looked into it and this is not the 8k bug since Android 4.2.2 already increased the buffer size to 64k. It seems like some Samsung phones have problems using run-as to start debugging processes and there is a workaround. See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17219906/run-as-package-a-b-c-is-unknown-galaxy-s4-jellybean

However, I tried modifying the NDK scripts to use the workaround but it doesn’t seem like Visual GDB calls the ndk-gdb scripts at all (Process Monitor confirms this). Is there anyway to customize launching gdbserver so that I could use this workaround and hence debug using an S4?

Thanks.

— Dan

ket
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the information.
    We can add such an option to 4.0.

ket
    Participant

Hi,

We have researched into this. Currently when a device is rooted, then we already start the gdbserver without the run-as command.
    Based on the link you gave us there is a workaround to start the gdbserver without run-as from user mode on non-rooted devices?
    We need more details on the workaround.
    Based on the linked thread, the gdbserver is first started from within the Java app and then again from the adb shell. Starting the gdbserver again from the adb shell would however fail, as it would need root to start it directly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.