Debugging impossible when timer interrupts are enabled

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Debugging impossible when timer interrupts are enabled

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    andyjt
    Participant

Hi,

Is there trick to stop the debugger from stepping into the Timer Interrupt handler all the time ?

I’m finding it impossible to trace through code, you hit a breakpoint press F10 to step over and it jumps straight to the interrupt handler, eg:

void TIM3_IRQHandler(void)

{

HAL_TIM_IRQHandler(&TimHandle);

}

So you then end up just stepping through this same bit of code (unless you can hit F10 quicker than your timer!)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can try using the OpenOCD’s “cortex_m maskisr” command to disable interrupts during stepping as described here: http://openocd.org/doc/html/GDB-and-OpenOCD.html

However this will not work when using high-level debug adapters like ST-Link.

percy
    Participant

Please can you describe how  “cortex_m maskisr” command is disabled in visualGDB. I’m having the same issue as andyjt described above, debugging time interrupts on my stm32f746g discovery

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You could run the “mon cortex_m maskisr on” command in the GDB Session window to automatically disable interrupts during stepping.

However this would only work for low-level JTAG adapters (i.e. won’t work with ST-Link). If you are using ST-Link, we would recommend setting the PRIMASK register to disable the interrupts manually while you are stepping through the critical parts of code.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.