Debug Config for J-Link EDU and Raspberry Pico

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Debug Config for J-Link EDU and Raspberry Pico

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gigamegawatts
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for adding support for the Raspberry Pico.  The important stuff works fine – the projects I’ve tried so far build and run as expected.

I haven’t been able to get Debug to work with my Jlink EDU. When I click Test in the Debug Settings window I get an error “Then connected J-Link (S/N xxxx) doesn’t support SWD multi-drop”.

This message is coming from the J-Link side, so it’s probably  nothing to do with VisualGDB. (I get the same error when connecting with J-Link Commander.)  I suspect the cause is that I’m using the EDU version of J-Link — the discussion here (https://forum.segger.com/index.php/Thread/7762-SOLVED-RP2040-Support/) says that this problem was fixed in the latest version of the J-Link software (6.98), which is what I have installed.  Maybe they haven’t got it sorted yet.

However, I wanted to check that I’ve configured the Debug properties correctly.  Is there anything in the settings shown in the attached file that looks wrong?

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The settings on the VisualGDB side appear correct. So this is likely a bug in J-Link, or some kind incompatibility between the Segger software, firmware and hardware. If the problem can be reproduced outside VisualGDB as well, we would advise checking it with Segger support.

Another option would be to just use OpenOCD. It supports J-Link as long as you replace the regular Segger USB driver with the WinUSB one, and we have successfully used it to debug Raspberry Pi Pico. If you use the “USB Devices” view in VisualGDB instead of “Debug Methods”, it will automatically suggest installing the matching USB driver.

gigamegawatts
    Participant

Hi,

Yes, your suggestion of using OpenOCD with the WinUSB driver fixed the problem.  It works really well — I’ve used the debugger with a few different small projects and haven’t run into any problems.

This is off-topic, I know, but I’m wondering about a statement in your tutorial:

“The Raspberry Pi Pico Project wizard allows creating new projects from scratch…”

I didn’t see any way to do that, so I’ve been using the Pico Project Generator to create projects, then open them in VisualGDB using the “Import an existing project” option.

I’m wondering if I missed something: is there a way to create a new Pico project using only VisualGDB?   If not, that’s OK: using the Pico Project Generator approach is fine with me.

Thanks,

Dan.

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, not sure what you meant. Our tutorial does show how to create a project from scratch. If something doesn’t work as it is shown in the tutorial, please double-check that you follow all the steps as described. If it still doesn’t help, please feel free to share the complete steps to reproduce the issue, including all the relevant screenshots per our problem reporting guidelines and we will look further into this.

gigamegawatts
    Participant

I guess it’s just a difference in semantics, then. I thought “from scratch” meant that there was an “Empty Project” template like VisualGDB offers for other ARM devices that I’ve used. Or, better yet, something like the Pico Project Generator that lets you select what features you want (e.g. I2C and SPI), and generates the necessary CMakeLists.txt with a bare-bones main.c file.

However, that’s just a nice-to-have. I can just choose an example that’s closest to what I want, then replace the code. Also, the Pico Project Generator works well with VisualGDB’s “Import an existing project” option, so I’m good to go.

No problems to report – the Pico support looks ready for release to me.

Thanks,

Dan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.