Crash when adding VGDB project to solution

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Crash when adding VGDB project to solution

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    thegilb
    Participant

When using Visual Studio 2012 SP3, and the latest version of VisualGDB, I am getting a crash when adding a VGDB project to a solution.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create a blank solution
    2. Add a new VisualGDB Linux project to the solution
    3. Upon completing the project wizard, Visual Studio will crash

This happens to me every time, and makes VGDB unusable because the project I wish to build requires multiple components.

Is this a known issue? Is there a known workaround?

ket
    Participant

Hi,

We tried replicating your scenario on an otherwise clean machine and did not experience any issues.

Please follow these steps to give us an exception log:
    1.Open regedit.
    2.Go to HKCUSoftwareSysprogsVisualGDBSettings.
    3.Create a string value called “ExceptionReportDir”. Set it to something like “c:temp”. Ensure that c:temp exists and is writable by the user account that runs Visual Studio.
    4.Run Visual Studio, let the exception happen.
    5.Look in the directory specified above for .exception files. Send us the relevant files.

The usual fix to Visual Studio crashes is to also install the latest updates. In addition to that make sure that your .NET 2.0 framework is updated.

thegilb
    Participant

Thanks for your input, I’ve had to do a little RCA investigation and have found that the fault appears to be related to the plugin Riverblade Visual Lint http://www.riverblade.co.uk/products/visual_lint/index.html. I will notify Riverblade of the problem, in the mean time I can enjoy trialling your software with a more complex project.

As an aside, I would appreciate it if you could find a way to resolve this problem with Riverblade, as one of the attractions of using Visual Studio is the rich ecosystem of plugins that support development, and it is unclear in which component the error occurs.

ket
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for notifying us. We have not experienced any compatibility issues with other Visual Studio plugins.

Do you have any kind of stack trace of the crash? Was an exception log created?

thegilb
    Participant

I followed the instructions given to enable the exception report logging, however upon replicating the crash there were no files written. Perhaps this is a signal that the exception originated in the other component, which would make sense given that the problem does not occur when that component is disabled.

Have you tried to reproduce the crash with Visual Lint installed? There is a trial version available on the Riverblade website. You are better equipped to identify the cause of the problem than I am.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.