CMake project not recognizing header files in sysroot/usr/local/include

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB CMake project not recognizing header files in sysroot/usr/local/include

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    nOlander
    Participant

I have been using VisualGDB for a bit to cross-compile a project for a Raspberry Pi. I’ve synchronized the sysroot from the Raspberry Pi successfully, and I know the header files are present in the local sysroot, but I can’t get Visual Studio to compile, it just reports Error snap7.h: No such file or directory for whatever header it is unable to find.

Interestingly, the Clang autocomplete works fine with those headers, it just appears that the build is not properly including the usr/local/include folder in the sysroot. It also compiles correctly if I copy the header files from usr/local/include to /usr/include, but I don’t intend on doing that on the remote system and I feel like this should be configurable without having to manually adjust the sysroot.

Where should I be looking in my configuration to resolve this? I’m using a CMake project that I imported from an already existing CMake project that I had manually created on Visual Studio 2017 Professional with VisualGDB Custom 5.4R12.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by nOlander.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please ensure you are using the Advanced CMake Project Subsystem. Then you will be able to use the automatic header discovery to fix the project settings automatically.

If you prefer to configure everything by hand, you would need to find the target (i.e. an library or an executable) that contains the faulty source file and add the directory containing the source file to its include directories under VS properties for that target.

If you still cannot find the corresponding settings, please let us know your project type (Advanced CMake/Regular CMake) and we will provide more detailed instructions.

nOlander
    Participant

I’m fairly certain I have it configured as an Advanced CMake project, but how would I tell?

I’ve tried to use the automatic header discovery and I’ll get the notification about “Found one additional include directory required by the current file”, which edits the appropriate CMake file, but it only seems to resolve the autocomplete/red squiggles error and I still get the compilation error.

If possible, I would prefer to leave the CMake files untouched as much as possible because I know they work with the directory structure on the Linux system, but I will make changes if needed. When you say “VS properties for that target”, what do you mean? I’ve selected the specific .a item in the solution explorer and added the sysroot/usr/local/include directory to the include directories list, but it hasn’t made a change in the build.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Sorry, it’s hard to suggest anything specific without knowing more details (how exactly is the target declared, what is the current directory with the header file and exactly is is spelled in the Makefile, what exactly gets edited in the CMakeLists.txt file).

One possible cause for this would be CMakeLists.txt using the regular /path/on/target syntax to specify include directories instead of ${CMAKE_SYSROOT}/path/on/target. The former syntax will only work when compiling directly, while the latter will work both when building on Linux and Windows.

VS properties for the target can be opened by right-clicking on the target (specific executable or library) in Solution Explorer and selecting “Properties”.

Edit: the VisualGDB 5.5 development branch does automatically use the ${CMAKE_SYSROOT} syntax for automatically discovered directories (e.g. VisualGDB-5.5.1.3300.msi), however it hasn’t fully passed all our internal tests and may be less reliable than the stable v5.4 release.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by support.
    nOlander
    Participant

This is how the CMake file is set up:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0)
    project(PLCComms VERSION 0.2.3)

set(SRC
        src/service.cpp
        src/PLC_control.cpp
    )

add_library(Snap7-Wrapper src/S7Object_Wrapper.cpp)

set_target_properties(Snap7-Wrapper
        PROPERTIES
            LANGUAGES CXX
            CXX_STANDARD 14
            CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED ON
            CXX_EXTENSIONS OFF
            DESCRIPTION "Wrapper around snap7 library"
            VERSION 0.0.2
    )

target_include_directories(Snap7-Wrapper
    PUBLIC
        ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/include
    PRIVATE
        ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/include
        C:/SysGCC/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/local/include
    )

target_compile_options(Snap7-Wrapper
    PRIVATE
        -Werror
    )
    target_link_libraries(Snap7-Wrapper
        snap7
    )

add_executable(${PROJECT_NAME} ${SRC})

set_target_properties(${PROJECT_NAME}
        PROPERTIES
            LANGUAGES CXX
            CXX_STANDARD 14
            CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED ON
            CXX_EXTENSIONS OFF
            DESCRIPTION "Handles communication between PLC and clients via ZeroMQ"
    )

configure_file(
        ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/include/project_config.h.in
        ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/include/project_config.h
    )

target_include_directories(${PROJECT_NAME}
    PUBLIC
    PRIVATE
    )

target_compile_options(${PROJECT_NAME}
    PRIVATE
        -Werror
    )
    target_link_libraries(${PROJECT_NAME}
        zmq
        msgpack11
        Config
        Snap7-Wrapper
        systemd
    )

The directory with the header file that’s not being found is  C:/SysGCC/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/local/include and it gets added to the CMakeLists.txt via this line: target_include_directories(Snap7-Wrapper PRIVATE ../../=/usr/local/include). I did notice that it was being inserted above the already existing target_include_directories for that target, so I tried manually editing it in to the existing one but it didn’t make a difference.

You mentioned making sure to utilize ${CMAKE_SYSROOT}/path/to/include format, but I noticed that the line inserted automatically didn’t do that and instead used ../../=/usr/local/include.

Do those help at all?

I also checked the VS Properties for the project and under Type it says “CMake Project”. Is this a regular CMake Project like you said and if so, how can I change it to and Advanced CMake Project?

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, this indeed helps understand what is going on.

Indeed, the ../../=/usr/local/include syntax is incorrect (the correct one should be ${CMAKE_SYSROOT}/usr/local/include). The development branch of VisualGDB 5.5 should already use the correct syntax, but if you don’t want to upgrade before v5.5 reaches the stable release stage, simply try replacing C:/SysGCC/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot with ${CMAKE_SYSROOT} and the project should build both on Linux and Windows.

nOlander
    Participant

I made that change in my CMake file, but it’s still reporting No such file or directory even after changing the CMakeLists.txt and clean/rebuild the entire solution. Is there any way to view the output of CMake generating the make command? I can only find the output for the build, not including CMake.

support
    Keymaster

Strange. Please try enabling verbose build (add “-v” to Ninja command-line arguments or “VERBOSE=1” to GNU Make command line arguments via VisualGDB Project Properties -> CMake Proejct Settings -> Ninja/Make command) and then build the project again.

It will show the exact command lines used by the build system for each file. Please locate the command line for any file from that library and check what is going on (e.g. ${CMAKE_SYSROOT} got expanded incorrectly, or the path is not present in the command line at all).

If you are not sure, please post the corresponding command line from the build log and your updated target_include_directories() statement and we will help you understand it.

P.S. You can also try using our CMake Debugger to quickly understand what is going on. It allows stepping through CMake statements and will evaluate variables like ${CMAKE_SYSROOT}.

nOlander
    Participant

When I output the value of ${CMAKE_SYSROOT} it is printing the correct path to the sysroot but I’m still getting that same error when I build. This seems to be the affected due to you

PUBLIC
    PRIVATE
    	${CMAKE_SYSROOT}/usr/local/include
    )

message(${CMAKE_SYSROOT})

which outputs

c:/SysGCC/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot.

My make output is the following:

------ Build started: Project: Services, Configuration: Debug VisualGDB ------
    VisualGDB: Run "c:\SysGCC\raspberry\bin\make.exe " in directory "E:\Webservice\branches\stability\Services\Services\../VisualGDB/Debug" on local computer
    C:/Users/USER/AppData/Local/VisualGDB/CMake/bin/cmake.exe -SE:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services -BE:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug --check-build-system CMakeFiles/Makefile.cmake 0
    C:/Users/USER/AppData/Local/VisualGDB/CMake/bin/cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_start E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/CMakeFiles E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/CMakeFiles/progress.marks
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/Makefile2 all
    make[1]: Entering directory `E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/config/CMakeFiles/Config.dir/build.make src/config/CMakeFiles/Config.dir/depend
    make[2]: Entering directory `E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/config/CMakeFiles/Config.dir/build.make src/config/CMakeFiles/Config.dir/build
    [ 23%] Built target Config
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/build.make src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/depend
    make[2]: Entering directory `E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/build.make src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/build
    [ 35%] Built target Snap7-Wrapper
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/build.make src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/depend
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/build.make src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/build
    [ 41%] Building CXX object src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/src/NFC_comms.cpp.o
    In file included from E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/include/comms.hpp:81,
    from E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/src/NFC_comms.cpp:1:
    E:\Webservice\branches\stability\Services\src\plc\include\S7Object_Wrapper.hpp(22,10): error : snap7.h: No such file or directory
    #include <snap7.h>
    ^~~~~~~~~
    compilation terminated.
    make[2]: *** [src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/src/NFC_comms.cpp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Command exited with code 2
    Executable: c:\SysGCC\raspberry\bin\make.exe
    Arguments: 
    Directory: E:\Webservice\branches\stability\Services\Services\../VisualGDB/Debug
    VisualGDB: Error: Command-line action failed
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Does this help you in resolving the issue all?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by nOlander.
    support
    Keymaster

Sorry, it looks like you did not add “VERBOSE=1” to the GNU Make command-line arguments (see our previous reply), hence Make did not dump the gcc command lines.

Please try adding it as suggested and share the updated log that should include the exact gcc command lines used to build the code.

nOlander
    Participant

My apologies for the delay in response. I believe I resolved that and got this output:

------ Build started: Project: Services, Configuration: Debug VisualGDB ------
    VisualGDB: Run "c:\SysGCC\raspberry\bin\make.exe VERBOSE=1" in directory "E:\NCA\Webservice\branches\stability\Services\Services\../VisualGDB/Debug" on local computer
    C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/VisualGDB/CMake/bin/cmake.exe -SE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services -BE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug --check-build-system CMakeFiles/Makefile.cmake 0
    C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/VisualGDB/CMake/bin/cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_start E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/CMakeFiles E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/CMakeFiles/progress.marks
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/Makefile2 all
    make[1]: Entering directory `E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/build.make src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/depend
    make[2]: Entering directory `E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/VisualGDB/CMake/bin/cmake.exe -E cmake_depends "Unix Makefiles" E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/plc E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/src/plc E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/DependInfo.cmake
    make[2]: Leaving directory `E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/build.make src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/build
    make[2]: Entering directory `E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `src/plc/CMakeFiles/Snap7-Wrapper.dir/build'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    [ 11%] Built target Snap7-Wrapper
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/build.make src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/depend
    C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/VisualGDB/CMake/bin/cmake.exe -E cmake_depends "Unix Makefiles" E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/src/comms E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/DependInfo.cmake
    c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/make -f src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/build.make src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/build
    [ 17%] Building CXX object src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/src/NFC_comms.cpp.o
    cd E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/src/comms && c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++.exe --sysroot=c:/SysGCC/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/spdlog -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/include -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/plc/include -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/plc/include -g -Werror -std=c++14 -o CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/src/NFC_comms.cpp.o -c E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/src/NFC_comms.cpp
    In file included from E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/include/comms.hpp:81,
    from E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/src/NFC_comms.cpp:1:
    E:\NCA\Webservice\branches\stability\Services\src\plc\include\S7Object_Wrapper.hpp(22,10): error : snap7.h: No such file or directory
    #include <snap7.h>
    ^~~~~~~~~
    compilation terminated.
    make[2]: *** [src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/src/NFC_comms.cpp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [src/comms/CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Command exited with code 2
    Executable: c:\SysGCC\raspberry\bin\make.exe
    Arguments: VERBOSE=1
    Directory: E:\NCA\Webservice\branches\stability\Services\Services\../VisualGDB/Debug
    VisualGDB: Error: Command-line action failed
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Does that clarify the issue at all? It seems a bit more verbose than the previous one.

support
    Keymaster

Yes, here’s the relevant command line:

cd E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/VisualGDB/Debug/src/comms && c:/SysGCC/raspberry/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++.exe --sysroot=c:/SysGCC/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/spdlog -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/include -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/plc/include -IE:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/plc/include -g -Werror -std=c++14 -o CMakeFiles/NFC-PLC-Comms.dir/src/NFC_comms.cpp.o -c E:/NCA/Webservice/branches/stability/Services/src/comms/src/NFC_comms.cpp

However, it doesn’t seem to mention /usr/local/include at all, so most likely your project somehow overrides or resets the include directory list for the target. As the CMakeLists.txt structure was not created by VisualGDB, it’s hard to suggest a specific spot where it could be happening.

That said, if you have trouble navigating the CMakeLists files of this project, please consider re-creating it from scratch using the VisualGDB GUI for adding targets and setting their properties. This will ensure that all target properties will be stored consistently and won’t conflict with each other.

nOlander
    Participant

I believe I may have resolved this. In this section:

PUBLIC
    PRIVATE
        ${CMAKE_SYSROOT}/usr/local/include
    )

I switched the sysroot line to the PUBLIC section and it seemed to work.

I’m not 100% certain, but it is no longer reporting the snap7.h not found on building. I will complete some testing and report the success here.

nOlander
    Participant

Just realized I never responded to this, but this resolved the issue and it has been building properly

support
    Keymaster

No worries and good to know it works. As we don’t know the internal structure of your project, it’s hard to comment anything regarding the solution, but just a heads up that you can use the VisualGDB GUI to edit the public includes of a target via the “Exported Settings -> Public” page of its VS Properties window.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.