Can't Launch VisualGDB Debugger Anymore: Null Reference Excpetion

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Can't Launch VisualGDB Debugger Anymore: Null Reference Excpetion

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CurtisHx
    Participant

I have no idea what happened, but I can’t launch the VisualGDB Debugger anymore.  When I hit F5 to download / run / debug, I get the following exception:

VisualGDB version: 5.3.14.1886
    —————— System.NullReferenceException ——————
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at qf1.Dispose()
    at ec1.a(xm b, VisualGDBProjectSettings2 a)
    at tv.a(bw1 b, Project a)
    at bw1.a6(String a, String c, String& b)

And then Visual Studio pops up a dialog box with “Unable to start program … -Debug.vgdbsettings is not a valid Win32 application”

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VisualGDB multiple times.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please update to the latest VisualGDB 5.3R7. The problem is fixed in that version.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Now I’m getting a new error.  “Attaching the GDB debugger to process ‘[0] <project name>’ on machine ‘<machine name>’ failed.  General Exception”

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, this looks like a corrupt installation. Reinstalling VisualGDB/Visual Studio should normally help.

Please also note that your technical support has expired. In order to keep on receiving support, please renew your license (or update your profile email so that it matches the new license email).

CurtisHx
    Participant

Reinstalling VisualGDB and Visual Studio did not resolve the problem.  I tried going back to a known, good restore point, and I still get the same error.

CurtisHx
    Participant

There is something about updating VS2017 with VisualGDB installed that kills both products. I just remember I ran the VS2017 installer then went to lunch. When I came back, VisualGDB would not start the debugger and the VS2017 installer would not launch. I’m in the process of wiping and reinstalling Windows.  I never had this problem with VS2015, which leads me to believe that Microsoft is playing it fast and loose with their VS2017 updates (no surprise there).

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like Microsoft is trying to add many new features in VS2017 and that indeed sometimes compromises stability. It’s hard to say whether anything could be done on VisualGDB side to fix this – we regularly test VisualGDB with the latest VS updates (that includes updating existing VS installation with VisualGDB), however have never encountered any problems on any of our test machines. Reinstalling VS/Windows could be indeed the fastest way around this, sorry.

CurtisHx
    Participant

It looks like Microsoft completely hosed being able to debug in VS 15.5.0.  After a clean install of windows, VS2017, everything, I’m still getting the   “Attaching the GDB debugger to process ‘[0] <project name>’ on machine ‘<machine name>’ failed.  General Exception” dialog box when trying to start the debugger.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Strange. Just to double-check: does this happen before installing VisualGDB, or after?

CurtisHx
    Participant

I should have been a little bit more clear:  the GDB debugger no longer functions in 15.5.  I was able to start debugging a .NET application without any trouble.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have just double-checked the latest VisualGDB build with the VS 15.5.0 and could not reproduce any issues. We will be happy to help you diagnose why this isn’t working on your machine, but please renew your technical support first.

CurtisHx
    Participant

I think I figured out what the problem was.  I installed the .NET 3.5 dev tools after installing VS 2017 and VisualGDB.  I repaired Visual Studio by running the VS 2017 Launcher and selecting More->Repair.  This fixed the issue.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.