Can VGDB cope with >1 STlink attached at a time?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Can VGDB cope with >1 STlink attached at a time?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ken Macfarlane
    Participant

I need to debug 2 targets at opposite ends of an rs232, each with its own app & each with its own debugger. Once I’ve got one up & running, when I try to start the debugger in the 2nd instance of Visual Studio, I get a load of guff from OpenOCD, which doesn’t happen if the first target’s debugger isn’t connected. Is there a switch somewhere in the VGDB properties that I’ve missed? I can’t seem to get the first target to run from flash either, although it will when there’s only one debugger & one instance of VS.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This is not supported yet, however we will consider adding a switch to the upcoming update of our OpenOCD package that we expect to release this week.

support
    Keymaster

OK, we have released an update that supports it. Please update your OpenOCD package to 0.9.0r9.

Ken Macfarlane
    Participant

Sorry, but I can’t see how to update openOCD . Is this something that I can do from within VS? Also, I don’t know how to tell what version I’m using – it’s dated May 6th, 2016. I’ve poked about under the “Show help on configuring OpenOCD” link on the Debug Settings tab under Project Properties for example.

support
    Keymaster

Please use Tools->Embedded Tools Manager->Check for updates.

Please also update VisualGDB to 5.1r6 as the previous versions have a known issue that sometimes corrupts OpenOCD settings with the new OpenOCD.

Ken Macfarlane
    Participant

Found it – under Install Support for Additional debug methods (on the Debug Method Tab), it allows you to update any of the debuggers installed. Note that when you test the OpenOCD settings, it says e.g

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2016-05-03), but doesn’t actually give the revision (it must have been r8 here, because now the dates changed to 2016-05-10 & r9)

Ken Macfarlane
    Participant

Oh, and VS has to be restarted after you update OpenOCD, or you get a bogus message about the memory at the stack location not being writeable!

Ken Macfarlane
    Participant

Don’t think this works properly yet – the Select a USB Device lists 2 identical debuggers – same Programmer type, Windows device name, Vendor ID, Device ID & Interface (ST-Likn v2.1, St Microelectronics ST.., 0483, 374B & 00 in my case). Although I can pick one, regardless of which one I pick, the OpenOCD test exits with code 1.

support
    Keymaster

Please check the actual output of OpenOCD. It should contain information about the specific error. If you are not sure, please post the output here so that we could help you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.