Build errors after upgrading to VisualGDB 5.5 Preview 7

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Build errors after upgrading to VisualGDB 5.5 Preview 7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    hoterpone
    Participant

Since upgrading the VisualGDB 5.5 Preview 7 I am occasionally experiencing two different issues during rebuilds.

When first starting Visual Studio, everything seems to work find – builds succeed and I can deploy to and debug on my Texas Instruments CC3220SF microcontroller without problems.  However, after some time one of the following seems to eventually happen:

• A requested build will appear to start, but then never do anything.
      • Visual Studio behaves as if the build is in progress, but I’m unable to cancel (nothing happens when choosing Build -> Cancel from the VS menus) and I can’t close Visual Studio (“The build must be stopped before the solution can be closed”).
      • I have attached a screenshot as NoBuild.png
      • The Visual Studio IDE does not appear to be consuming any CPU. but MSBuild.exe is taking 25% CPU (presumably a full core on my laptop).
      • If I kill MSBuild.exe via Task Manager then the build cancels, and subsequent rebuilds appear to work properly.
    • During a build, I get one or more error messages that say “Warning: cannot perform inline build.  Object reference not set to an instance of an object”.
      • I’ve attached a screenshot as InlineBuild.png.
      • After the first instance of this occurring, it seems to happen on all subsequent builds as well.  Restarting Visual Studio is the only way I’ve found to fix this.

In case they are related, at the same time that I upgraded to Visual GDB 5.5 Preview 7 I had also upgraded the BSP for the TI CC3220 as instructed in https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/cc3220-bsp-updates.

Lastly, I also noticed a minor spelling mistake in the “Successfully built 2 projectss, 0 projectss failed” message that is displayed after a build – see attached Projectss.png.

Thanks,

AJ

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This might be caused by incomplete initialization of the floating license. First of all, please try the latest development build: VisualGDB-5.5.8.3742.msi

Then please try opening the Help->About VisualGDB window before you start the build. It will force the licensing logic to initialize and display an error message if there is any.

If nothing helps, please obtain a call stack of the MSBuild process as shown here and attach it here so that we could see what is going on.

hoterpone
    Participant

I continue to have the problem where a build starts but then never completes even under VisualGDB-5.5.8.3742.  I have tried going to Help -> About VisualGDB but never see any error message there and it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

In going through the procedure for obtaining a call stack, and choosing MSBuild.exe instead of DevEnv.exe, and then initiating a Break All, I find that the Main Thread indicates the following:

mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitAny(System.Threading.WaitHandle[] waitHandles, int millisecondsTimeout, bool exitContext) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.Execution.OutOfProcNode.Run(bool enableReuse, out System.Exception shutdownException) Unknown
    MSBuild.exe!Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.MSBuildApp.StartLocalNode(Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.CommandLineSwitches commandLineSwitches) Unknown
    MSBuild.exe!Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.MSBuildApp.ProcessCommandLineSwitches(Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.CommandLineSwitches switchesFromAutoResponseFile, Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.CommandLineSwitches switchesNotFromAutoResponseFile, ref string projectFile, ref string[] targets, ref string toolsVersion, ref System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<string, string> globalProperties, ref Microsoft.Build.Framework.ILogger[] loggers, ref Microsoft.Build.Framework.LoggerVerbosity verbosity, ref System.Collections.Generic.List<Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.DistributedLoggerRecord> distributedLoggerRecords, ref bool needToValidateProject, ref string schemaFile, ref int cpuCount, ref bool enableNodeReuse, ref System.IO.TextWriter preprocessWriter, ref bool detailedSummary, ref System.Collections.Generic.ISet<string> warningsAsErrors, ref System.Collections.Generic.ISet<string> warningsAsMessages, ref bool enableRestore, ref Microsoft.Build.Logging.ProfilerLogger profilerLogger, ref bool enableProfiler, ref System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<string, string> restoreProperties, bool recursing) Unknown
    MSBuild.exe!Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.MSBuildApp.Execute(string commandLine) Unknown
    MSBuild.exe!Microsoft.Build.CommandLine.MSBuildApp.Main() Unknown

I also found an unnamed thread at the location ‘VisualGDBCore.dll!ul.n’; the call stack for this is:

[Managed to Native Transition] 
    VisualGDBCore.dll!ul.n(System.IntPtr c, byte[] b, int a) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!fq1.d(VisualGDBExtensibility.BuildMode b, ic2.b a, VisualGDB.Builder.IFormattedBuildLogLineSink c) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!g11.d(string e, VisualGDBExtensibility.BuildMode d, ic2.h c, string b, bool a) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!VisualGDB.MSBuild.BuildHelper.LaunchBuildAction(string action, string settingsFile, string generatedMakefile, string targetPath, string solutionPath, string projectPath, string cancelEventName, VisualGDB.Builder.ISimpleFormattedBuildLogLineSink callbacks, string remoteBuildTool) Unknown
    Sysprogs.Build.Tasks.dll!Sysprogs.build.tasks.shared.LaunchVisualGDB.Execute.AnonymousMethod__0() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(object state) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() Unknown

However, if I then ‘Continue’ and then again ‘Break All’, the above VisualGDBCore.dll thread is gone and I find a different one named ‘RequestBuilder’ at location ‘VisualGDBCore.dll!p.d’ with call stack:

mscorlib.dll!System.Globalization.CompareInfo.IndexOf(string source, string value, int startIndex, int count, System.Globalization.CompareOptions options) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!string.IndexOf(string value, int startIndex, int count, System.StringComparison comparisonType) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!yj2.w(string b, string a) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!p.d(out o31 a) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!p.p(VisualGDB.VisualGDBProjectSettings2 c, d92 a, go1 f, p.g4 d, p22 e, VisualGDB.Backend.Subsystems.IDELevelProjectInfoForBuilding b) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lq.e.c(VisualGDB.MSBuild.BuildHelper.ReferencedProjectInformation a) Unknown
    System.Core.dll!System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator<VisualGDB.MSBuild.BuildHelper.ReferencedProjectInformation, System.__Canon>.MoveNext() Unknown
    System.Core.dll!System.Linq.Buffer<p>.Buffer(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<p> source) Unknown
    System.Core.dll!System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray<p>(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<p> source) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lq.b() Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lq.d.get() Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lq.a(VisualGDB.Backend.Subsystems.IDELevelProjectInfoForBuilding a) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!f71.f(string b, string a, string c, VisualGDB.MSBuild.BuildHelper.ReferencedProjectInformation[] d, VisualGDB.MSBuild.BuildHelper.TestContainerGenerationContext e) Unknown
    Sysprogs.Build.Tasks.dll!Sysprogs.Build.Tasks.InitializeBuiltProjectContext.Execute() Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute() Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost taskExecutionHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TaskLoggingContext taskLoggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskHost taskHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ItemBucket bucket, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<System.__Canon>.Start<Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26>(ref Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26 stateMachine) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost taskExecutionHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TaskLoggingContext taskLoggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskHost taskHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ItemBucket bucket, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.InitializeAndExecuteTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TaskLoggingContext taskLoggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ItemBucket bucket, System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary<string, string> taskIdentityParameters, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskHost taskHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<System.__Canon>.Start<Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<InitializeAndExecuteTask>d__24>(ref Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<InitializeAndExecuteTask>d__24 stateMachine) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.InitializeAndExecuteTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TaskLoggingContext taskLoggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ItemBucket bucket, System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary<string, string> taskIdentityParameters, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskHost taskHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteBucket(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskHost taskHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ItemBucket bucket, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<string, string> lookupHash) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<System.__Canon>.Start<Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteBucket>d__19>(ref Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteBucket>d__19 stateMachine) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteBucket(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskHost taskHost, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ItemBucket bucket, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<string, string> lookupHash) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode mode, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup lookup) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<System.__Canon>.Start<Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteTask>d__18>(ref Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteTask>d__18 stateMachine) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode mode, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup lookup) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TargetLoggingContext loggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.BuildRequestEntry requestEntry, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITargetBuilderCallback targetBuilderCallback, Microsoft.Build.Execution.ProjectTargetInstanceChild taskInstance, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode mode, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup inferLookup, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup executeLookup, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<System.__Canon>.Start<Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteTask>d__13>(ref Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteTask>d__13 stateMachine) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteTask(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TargetLoggingContext loggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.BuildRequestEntry requestEntry, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITargetBuilderCallback targetBuilderCallback, Microsoft.Build.Execution.ProjectTargetInstanceChild taskInstance, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode mode, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup inferLookup, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup executeLookup, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.ProcessBucket(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskBuilder taskBuilder, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TargetLoggingContext targetLoggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode mode, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup lookupForInference, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup lookupForExecution) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<System.__Canon>.Start<Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.<ProcessBucket>d__52>(ref Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.<ProcessBucket>d__52 stateMachine) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.ProcessBucket(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskBuilder taskBuilder, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.TargetLoggingContext targetLoggingContext, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionMode mode, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup lookupForInference, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Lookup lookupForExecution) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.ExecuteTarget(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskBuilder taskBuilder, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.BuildRequestEntry requestEntry, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.ProjectLoggingContext projectLoggingContext, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start<Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.<ExecuteTarget>d__45>(ref Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.<ExecuteTarget>d__45 stateMachine) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetEntry.ExecuteTarget(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskBuilder taskBuilder, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.BuildRequestEntry requestEntry, Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.Logging.ProjectLoggingContext projectLoggingContext, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TargetBuilder.ProcessTargetStack(Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskBuilder taskBuilder) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.InvokeMoveNext(object stateMachine) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.Run() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.OutputAsyncCausalityEvents.AnonymousMethod__0() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.ContinuationWrapper.Invoke() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.OutputWaitEtwEvents.AnonymousMethod__0() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.ContinuationWrapper.Invoke() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.TaskSchedulerAwaitTaskContinuation.Run.AnonymousMethod__2_0(object state) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(ref System.Threading.Tasks.Task currentTaskSlot) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(bool bPreventDoubleExecution) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler.TryExecuteTask(System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) Unknown
    Microsoft.Build.dll!Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.RequestBuilder.DedicatedThreadsTaskScheduler.InjectThread.AnonymousMethod__6_0() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(object state) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() Unknown

Please let me know if there’s any more information that I can get for you.

Thanks,

AJ

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, this might be related to a glitch that was recently fixed on our side. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.5.8.3769.msi

hoterpone
    Participant

Thanks, I have downloaded and installed and will let you know if I see the same behavior again.

AJ

hoterpone
    Participant

I had another instance this morning where the build is started but then never seems to get anywhere.  I killed the msbuild.exe task via Task Manager and then retried the build and it appeared to complete without any problems.

Then I had an instance where Visual Studio froze up either while I was stopping debugging or while I was trying to restart debugging (I’m not sure which – I had made code changes and was trying to stop, rebuild, and restart when I noticed the problem).  I followed the instructions to attach a 2nd debugger and I found that the DevEnv.exe’s main thread appeared to be stuck in a VisualGDB function.  The call stack is copied below:

mscorlib.dll!System.Globalization.CompareInfo.IndexOf(string source, string value, int startIndex, int count, System.Globalization.CompareOptions options) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!string.IndexOf(string value, int startIndex, int count, System.StringComparison comparisonType) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!bi1.h(string a, string b) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!c03.c1(out ww2 a) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!c03.c03(VisualGDB.VisualGDBProjectSettings2 e, od1 d, x01 f, c03.g4 a, kk c, VisualGDB.Backend.Subsystems.IDELevelProjectInfoForBuilding b) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lf.c.d(VisualGDB.MSBuild.BuildHelper.ReferencedProjectInformation a) Unknown
    System.Core.dll!System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator<VisualGDB.MSBuild.BuildHelper.ReferencedProjectInformation, System.__Canon>.MoveNext() Unknown
    System.Core.dll!System.Linq.Buffer<c03>.Buffer(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<c03> source) Unknown
    System.Core.dll!System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray<c03>(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<c03> source) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lf.g() Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lf.f.get() Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!lf.a(VisualGDB.Backend.Subsystems.IDELevelProjectInfoForBuilding a) Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!fs2.e(t2 a, VisualGDB.VisualGDBProjectSettings2 b) Unknown
    VisualGDBPackage2017.dll!ym1.a(x51 b, ref EnvDTE.Project a) Unknown
    VisualGDBPackage2017.dll!x51.s3(string b, string c, out string a) Unknown
    [Native to Managed Transition] 
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Debug.DebugLaunchProviderBase.LaunchAsync(Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Debug.IDebugLaunchSettings[] launchSettings) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Debug.DebugLaunchProviderBase.LaunchAsync(Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.Debug.DebugLaunchOptions launchOptions) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.InvokeMoveNext(object stateMachine) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.Run() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.InvokeAction(object state) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunCallback(System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, ref System.Threading.Tasks.Task currentTask) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.SynchronizationContextAwaitTaskContinuation.Run(System.Threading.Tasks.Task task, bool canInlineContinuationTask) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishStageThree() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task<System.__Canon>.TrySetResult(System.__Canon result) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<System.Collections.Generic.IReadOnlyList<Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Debug.IDebugLaunchSettings>>.SetResult(System.Collections.Generic.IReadOnlyList<Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Debug.IDebugLaunchSettings> result) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.VS.Implementation.Debuggers.LocalWindowsDebuggerService.QueryDebugTargetsAsync(Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.Debug.DebugLaunchOptions launchOptions) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.InvokeAction(object state) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunCallback(System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, ref System.Threading.Tasks.Task currentTask) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.SynchronizationContextAwaitTaskContinuation.Run(System.Threading.Tasks.Task task, bool canInlineContinuationTask) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishStageThree() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.Task<bool>.TrySetResult(bool result) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder<bool>.SetResult(bool result) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCDebuggerImageTypeService.GetIsConsoleAppAsync() Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.Tasks.SynchronizationContextAwaitTaskContinuation..cctor.AnonymousMethod__8_0(object state) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory.SingleExecuteProtector.TryExecute() Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.CompleteOnCurrentThread() Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.Invoke(System.Func<System.Threading.Tasks.Task> method) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCDebugSettingsShim.LaunchDebugger(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VsShell.Interop.VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS launchFlags) Unknown

Thanks,

AJ

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

One quick question: does the problem always happen after you let Visual Studio instance (or MSBuild) run for a long time idling, and then do a build?

hoterpone
    Participant

I suppose I would say no.  Twice this morning I had VS sitting idle in the background for an hour, and then I switched back to test a build, and both went normally.  I’ll try to pay more attention in terms of how long I’ve been away from VS the next time it happens.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, just one more question then. Did the problem ever happen on a recently started VS instance (i.e. NOT after a long period if inactivity)?

hoterpone
    Participant

I’m not sure to which problem you are referring:

• In the case where the build seems never to get properly started, but otherwise the task is completely responsive, and if I manually kill msbuild.exe via Task Manager then the build cancels in VS and I can resume using VS normally: I can’t say for sure as this has happened numerous times over the last few weeks, but I will try to pay more attention.
    • In the case where VS becomes non-responsive, and I grabbed the call stack that I posted this morning: this has happened twice, both today (i.e. since updating to VisualGDB-5.5.8.3769), and in both cases I believe VS had been open and used for build/embedded debug/etc. for some time when it locked up.  The 2nd instance (when I was paying closer attention) occurred just after I clicked the ‘Start debugging’ button in my embedded project.

Thanks,

AJ

hoterpone
    Participant

Here is another where all of VS locked up.  I had been sitting paused at a breakpoint for a few minutes while I was analyzing some data I had grabbed from the Watch window, and when I switched back it was non-responsive.

mscorlib.dll!System.TimeZoneInfo.ConvertUtcToTimeZone(long ticks, System.TimeZoneInfo destinationTimeZone, out bool isAmbiguousLocalDst) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTime(System.DateTime dateTime, System.TimeZoneInfo sourceTimeZone, System.TimeZoneInfo destinationTimeZone, System.TimeZoneInfoOptions flags, System.TimeZoneInfo.CachedData cachedData) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTimeToUtc(System.DateTime dateTime, System.TimeZoneInfoOptions flags) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.DateTime.ToFileTime() Unknown
    VisualGDBCore.dll!u1.e(string d, int b, string a, System.Func<string, string> c) Unknown
    VisualGDBPackage2017.dll!yh.ParseText(string e, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Interop.enum_PARSEFLAGS a, uint b, out Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Interop.IDebugExpression2 c, out string f, out uint d) Unknown
    [Native to Managed Transition] 
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.ShimQuickInfoSource.TryGetQuickInfoFromDebugger(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.IQuickInfoSession session, Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.TextSpan[] dataBufferTextSpan, out string tipText) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.ShimQuickInfoSource.AugmentQuickInfoSession(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.IQuickInfoSession session, System.Collections.Generic.IList<object> qiContent, out Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.ITrackingSpan applicableToSpan) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.VSEditor.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.Implementation.LegacyQuickInfoSource.AugmentQuickInfoSession(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.IAsyncQuickInfoSession session, System.Collections.Generic.IList<object> content, out Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.ITrackingSpan applicableToSpan) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.VSEditor.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.Implementation.AsyncQuickInfoSession.TryComputeContentFromLegacySourceAsync(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.IAsyncQuickInfoSource source, System.Collections.Generic.IList<object> items, System.Collections.Generic.IList<Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.ITrackingSpan> applicableToSpans) Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory.SingleExecuteProtector.TryExecute() Unknown
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory.SingleExecuteProtector..cctor.AnonymousMethod__20_0(object state) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(object source, System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(object state) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(object obj) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam, ref bool handled) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam, ref bool handled) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(object o) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(object source, System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority priority, System.TimeSpan timeout, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam) Unknown
    support
    Keymaster

OK, thanks for you patience. We have managed to reproduce the problem. I turns out, in some cases MSBuild would not invoke the logic responsible for updating VisualGDB’s floating license state, leading to an expiration of the temporary session key.

We have fixed the problem in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.8.3774.msi

hoterpone
    Participant

Thank you, I’ve downloaded and installed the latest version and will let you know if I see the problem again.

AJ

devrope
    Participant

We have fixed the problem in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.8.3774.msi

I tried this build, not having the issue in this thread, but there’s another issue with it.
    The “VisualGDB Build” window keeps popping up every time I build, even though I’ve redirected all output to the standard output window.
    It doesn’t respect that I close it either, and when starting a debug session it pops up in the upper left corner as a small window.

support
    Keymaster

No problem, we have updated VisualGDB to not explicitly activate the advanced output window, if the build output is directed to the regular output window. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.5.8.3779.msi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.