Bug with Visual Studio2017

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Bug with Visual Studio2017

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kayou
    Participant

Hi,

My project works fine with Visual Studio 2015, but with Visual studio 2017, when I click on “VisualGDB Debugger”, the project compile, and at the end, a popup tell me: ” ‘path’ cannot be an empty string(“”) or start with the null character. Parameter name: path”

I precise, I have the same result with an new project.
    I’ve tried to uninstall an reinstall VisualGDB. The problem is still here. Do you have any suggestion please?

Thanks in advance.
    Kayou

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try installing the latest v5.3 Preview 8. Then click at the ‘show details’ hyperlink in the exception window and post the details here. This should help us understand what could be causing it.

Another quicker solution would be to simply re-create the project via VisualGDB Project Wizard and compare the settings with the original project. Most likely some of the settings in the .vcxproj file got accidentally replaced by an empty string.

kayou
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve tried to install the last preview (5.3p8) but nothing more. There are no ‘show details’, you can view the popup in attachment.

Moreover, i create a project with VS2017, create a git and commit every files. Delete this project, recreate a project with VS2015. You can view the diff of the two projects in attachment. (Red = VS2017, Green = VS2015).

Thank you,

Kayou

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kayou
    Participant

Hi,

For information, I’ve tested to “Program and Start Without Debugging”, “Attach to running embedded firmware” and “Start Debugging with GDB”, I’ve no problem.

The only way to have this issue is to click on “VisualGDB Debugger”.

Kayou

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshots. At the first glance, the 2 projects look equivalent. Can you confirm that opening one of them with VS2017 works and the other one opened with VS2017 fails?

The message box you attached looks like it’s produced by Visual Studio before and VisualGDB logic gets triggered, so most likely it is caused by either corrupt MSBuild platform definition, or some installation-related problems. Uninstalling and installing back VisualGDB (and VS if this doesn’t help) might resolve this.

kayou
    Participant

Hi,

I reinstall VS2017 and VisualGDB, but still have this issue.

Every VisualGDB project opened with VS2017 display this error when I click on VisualGDB Debugger

kayou
    Participant

Hi,

Well I just found the solution.

My user %PATH% had a empty string (I did know why), I delete it and now that works.

Only VisualGDB projects failed because of that.

Thank you for the support.

Kayou

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks, this could potentially be our bug. We will try to reproduce it and add a workaround or at least an informative warning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.