2 issues with new version

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB 2 issues with new version

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  support 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #12651

    rohmer
    Participant
    1. So, there has been a toolchain update.  All projects updated, but one.  See TC1 and TC2.  I did the same thing for this one that I did the others.  I assume I can edit the vdbsettings file, but this is kinda annoying
    2. Every time I open the project it asks for an “Upgrade” the projects.  I have saved projects, etc.  But I get this popup EVERY time.  See Upgrade.PNG

     

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #12658

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    It looks like VisualGDB did not manage to save one project file after modifying it (TC2.jpg). This sometimes happens if the project is not loaded correctly in the Solution Explorer, or if some other bug prevents it from being saved. Could you try locating the project that fails to update (e.g. by checking which of the projects did not get modified)? Does excluding it from solution solve the problem? If yes, could you compare that .vcxproj file with other .vxcproj files to see if some manual modifications could be causing this?

    This problem also sometimes happens when you try pressing ‘upgrade’ while VS is still loading the projects, so simply waiting 10-15 seconds before pressing it may help.

    With ‘missing toolchain ID’, the logic responsible for fixing it could get interrupted by broken toolchain updating process, so once you resolve problem #1, the problem #2 should get automatically resolved as well.

    #12676

    rohmer
    Participant

    Ok, I tried pausing (For like 10 minutes) didnt work.

     

    Another oddity, the “Convert to MS Build” option isnt available on any of my projects 🙁

     

    #12677

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    Thanks for checking this. If waiting for 10 minutes does not help, looks like we will need further information from your in order to resolve it. Please try following the instructions from the first part of the previous reply.

    Regarding the ‘convert to MSBuild’, please try attaching a screenshot of your VisualGDB Project Properties window so that we could check for common problems.

    #12682

    rohmer
    Participant

    Attached are the screenies.

     

    Would deleting the vdgsettings file allow me to recreate them, or would it break everything?

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #12693

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    The screenshots look OK, so it’s hard to say what is causing this. You can try holding SHIFT while right-clicking on the project – this will force all VisualGDB menu commands to appear.

    Deleting .vgdbsettings files unfortunately won’t help as this will lose all VisualGDB settings associated with the project. Re-creating the project via the wizard and comparing the .vxcproj and .vgdbsettings files via a diff tool might help through.

    We understand this is annoying and we will try to help you resolve it ASAP, so please follow the steps below to isolate it:

    • Can you locate a specific project that fails to upgrade? If yes, what happens if you move add it to an empty solution (so that the solution will only have 1 project)?
    • If the project still fails to upgrade, please locate a similar project that works, add it to another empty solution and double-check that it works. Then compare the .vxcproj files and .vgdbsettings files for the working and non-working project. If you don’t see anything out of the ordinary, please attach the files here (or send them via our support form) and we will check for common issues.
    #12705

    rohmer
    Participant

    Ok, when I do the shift, I get a popup that says “The project contains no configurations that can be converted to MSBuild”

    #12706

    rohmer
    Participant

    Here are some examples of files that wont upgrade:

    RobotLib.vgbsettings:

    RobotLib-Debug.vgdbsettings:

    Now my release is very different:

    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  support. Reason: formatting
    #12707

    rohmer
    Participant

    Sorry, there was a mistake, RobotLib-Debug is:

    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  support. Reason: formatting
    #12713

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    The RobotLib.vgbsettings file looks wrong (it looked like an empty .vcxproj file); we also did not see your actual .vcxproj file. Please try archiving all project files (except for the actual .c/.cpp/.h files) and either attach them here or send them via our support form so that we could have a look.

    #12717

    rohmer
    Participant

    The project is open source and at https://github.com/rohmer/PiMower

    All the files are in there.

    Thanks!

    Ron

    #12724

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    Thanks for the link. Looks like you are using the ‘VisualGDB’ platform for non-MSBuild projects. Unfortunately this is not supported (as VisualGDB internally uses the platform name to distinguish between MSBuild and non-MSBuild configurations). We have added a warning for this in the upcoming v5.3R4 build.

    To fix this, please rename the ‘VisualGDB’ platform in your project files to ‘x86’ or ‘Win32’ (depending on the VS version you are using).

    We have also noticed that you are using CMake. VisualGDB 5.3 comes with a very powerful Advanced CMake Project Subsystem that basically creates a 2-way mapping between CMakeLists.txt files and the Solution Explorer (see this tutorial). We would advise switching to this subsystem (VisualGDB supports importing Embedded CMake projects) as it provides much better user experience with CMake.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.