1394 debugging

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi, I’m unable to debug over 1394. When I’m using WinDbg, everything works without any problem, but when I try to use the VisualDDK I end up with dialog box “Connecting to kernel debug session…”. Moreover I am unable to cancel this dialog – it just waits forever. There is nothing in the “Details…” window. Is there anything I have to set up to make it work?

Martin

support
    Keymaster

Could you please try “Debug->Attach” method, as described in VisualDDK quickstart? (http://visualddk.sysprogs.org/quickstart).
    If “1394://” fails, try using “raw://” prefix, as described in the page above.
    If using “raw://” solves the problem, please post your complete connection string here, so I can fix the “1394://” implementation.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi, I’ve tried 1394://10 and also raw://1394:channel=10 with no success. Result is still the same.

support
    Keymaster

OK, is WinDbg closed when you are connecting from VisualDDK? Have you specified the path to the latest version of Debugging tools in VisualDDK settings? When you use WinDbg, did you specify “1934:channel=0” in command line, or did you use the dialog box?

Anonymous
    Participant

From the windbg I can connect to the target using both the command line (windbg -k 1394:channel=10) and the GUI.
    I’ve checked that, but I have correct path to the debugging tools – it’s the same path where the windbg resides (C:Program FilesDebugging Tools for Windows)

Martin

support
    Keymaster

Ok, does the COM-based or VM-based debugging work on your machine? Maybe, the problem global to VisualDDK and not related to 1394 directly? Additionally, maybe it is some kind of a problem with UAC? Does Visual Studio have the same access level, as WinDbg?

Anonymous
    Participant

Well, I don’t have a COM cable and also I don’t have any virtual machine on my PC installed. I have UAC turned off and I am running as a member of local administrators group, so I think that there should not be problem with the privileges.

Martin
    Participant

Well, I’m not sure if it is some new behaviour, because I don’t think that I’ve seen that before – when I try to connect to my target using the VisualDDK, the target machine freezes. When I kill the devenv.exe process (because that is the only way how to close the connection dialog) and open up windbg, I can connect to the target machine – it is paused (it seems like a normal break) and I can resume it to run again.

Martin
    Participant

Hi, I have still no luck with debugging. Any ideas?

Just now I’ve installed VMWare Player and ran a WindowsXP in it. I’ve run the vminstall and after reboot the DDKLaunchMonitor started automatically.
    In Visual Studio I selected to debug virtual machine, and in that time on the target machine appeared “Discovery request from 10.0.0.50” – that’s address of my machine, so it basically works. When I try to Launch the driver a window opens up and there is:
    >>>>>>>> TargetInfo::CleanSystemSymbols(0x0000000000000000,0x002000730077006F)
    >>>>>>>> TargetInfo::CleanSystemSymbols(0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)
    >>>>>>>> TargetInfo::CleanSystemSymbols(0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)
    Restarting kd transport
    Opened \.pipekd_WindowsXP
    Waiting to reconnect…
    READ: Wait for type 7 packet
    Resync packet id …Kd sync initial break: on
    10 write to 0x1
    Send Break in …
    10 write to 0x1
    10 write to 0x1
    10 write to 0x1
    and that’s all – it repeats the last line forever.

When I run the Virtual Machine Monitor, there is the kd_WindowsXP listed. There is only one difference to your example – I’ve nothing in column “OS” and “Debugger” (there is “yes” on picture on your site), don’t know if that means anything.

Martin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.