WinCDEmu not in context menu anymore

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu WinCDEmu not in context menu anymore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Frankenstien
    Participant

I installed ‘WinCDEmu-3.0.exe’ on Vista Business SP2 x86 (32-bit) … that went OK.
    I used the context menu command to mount an MDS file (of a ISO/MDS file pair created by ImgBurn 2.5.0.0) on a Win XP Pro SP3-hosted network drive (a supported action? if not, my first mistake) … VB went through a fairly protracted ‘Installing software’ phase and eventually finished.
    I couldn’t see the drive (mounted image) in Windows Explorer or Disk Management but could see a ‘CD-ROM Drive’ (under ‘DVD/CD drives’) and ‘WinCDEmu Virtual Bus’ (under ‘Storage controllers’) in Device Manager.
    At this point, I believe, I made ImgBurn the default program for MDS & ISO file types … only as a passing thought … because I have been in the habit of doing that on 3 PCs I use that have ImgBurn installed – this may have been my second mistake.
    I now no longer had a context menu command for WinCDEmu so decided to restart and see if Windows would sort itself out. It didn’t, so, I decided to re-install WinCDEmu without un-installing it first – this did not seem to correct matters. The CD-ROM Drive has become a Hidden Device, however, the WinCDEmu Virtual Bus device is still there and fully operational.
    I have examined my context menu structure using Nirsoft’s ShellExView 1.37 … I can’t find anything that appears to be related to WinCDEmu or SysProgs.org.
    Any thoughts about what may have happened here or how to get WinCDEmu working properly? I’m tempted to try installing ‘WinCDEmu-3.1-8lang.exe’ but will hold off until I can learn more from you folks.
    FFF

Anonymous
    Participant

Try changing the default program that launches .iso files from ImgBurn to WinCDEmu.

Frankenstien
    Participant

Hey Blar … thanks for helping out … yeah, tried your suggestion … also tried uninstalling WinCDEmu 3.0 and installing v3.1 (can now get WinCDEmu in context menu for MDS’s but not for ISO’s / mounting an MDS doesn’t result in an explorable virtual drive anyways, just an eventual DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD on Shutdown / Restart) … Vista Bus SP2 just doesn’t play nice with this app … too bad too … I was looking to individually mount my library of movie MDS/ISO files … preferably acccess and play them over my LAN using SMPlayer 0.6.8, however, between WinCDEmu, Vista & SMPlayer issues, I just can’t seem to get there (yet) from here … FFF

support
    Keymaster

Could you please send the contents of your “WindowsMinidump” folder, so I can investigate the “power failure” bug?
    If ISO files do not open automatically, you can use the manual override:
    1. Click on an ISO file.
    2. Right-click and select “Open With->Select Default”
    3. Press “Browse”
    4. Select “Program Files (x86)WinCDEmuvmnt.exe” (or just Program Files… on 32-bit machine).
    5. Press OK and try again.

Frankenstien
    Participant

Hey bazis … thank you for looking at this situation of mine … re the WINDOWSMinidump folder contents … I have the latest file for you (looks like AnyDVD’s driver is involved in the BSOD) but how do I send it? I don’t see a file attachment interface here (or via PM) on this board. Am I too junior for that functionality?

Up until last night, the Minidump file (and / or ‘MEMORY.DMP’ file [in WINDOWS]) was not being created for the current issue … even though the BSOD screens indicated the memory dumps were occurring to completion … by way of explanation, fairly recently I modified the System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery – System failure – Write debugging information settings to ‘Kernel memory dump’ and had disabled ‘Overwrite any existing file’, however, I was still having trouble capturing a Miniaaaaaa-aa.dmp or MEMORY.DMP file following recent DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSODs, so, after reading your post last night, I re-enabled ‘Overwrite any existing file’ to see if that was the debugging file capture problem – it may have been as I did capture a file. Interestingly, the subject machine hung on the BSOD screen after the memory dump completed, even though ‘Automatically restart’ is enabled in the settings … as to the type of memory dump … for Vista Bus SP2, do you recommend the Small memory dump (64KB) over the Kernel memory dump? Any other thoughts on debugging settings?

… re the manual override procedure you outlined … I was already familiar with that and had already tried it … even though I follow through on the entire procedure, Vista won’t acknowledge the change. Is there something about an MDS/ISO file pair (created with ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 and AnyDVD 6.6.0.9 running) that would give your WinCDEmu trouble?
    Right now, with ImgBurn assigned as the default program for both file types, on a right-click Context menu > Open with >
    – for an ISO file, I get ImgBurn, Nero Burning ROM and Nero Express (Nero 7 Ultra Edition is installed) as Recommended Programs
    – for an MDS file, I get ImgBurn and WinCDEmu Mounter as Recommended Programs

Also, is WinCDEmu limited to one virtual drive at a time?

Be advised I also have Nirsoft’s BlueScreenView v1.11 installed, and, have put the subject machine in Test Mode (as per the sysprogs.orgsigning page), the latter to see if driver signing was the issue – it seemingly wasn’t.

FFF

2221PST08JAN10 edit – interesting observations: when checking right-click Context menu > Open with >
    – for an ISO file, the Nero Burning ROM Recommended Program icon says it is authored by ‘Bazis’ – not ‘Nero AG’ as expected
    (after de-associating the ISO file type in Nero Product Setup, this incongruity is sorted out and ‘WinCDEmu Mounter’ authored by ‘Bazis’ appears)

For an MDS file, the Windows Explorer file Type is displayed as ‘Alcohol CD/DVD image’ … (?)

FYI – disabling AnyDVD Autostart (on system startup) doesn’t sort out the failure of WinCDEmu to create a virtual drive from a mounted image file that can be seen in Windows Explorer, however, a ‘CD-ROM Drive’ can be seen in Device Manager as a direct result.

support
    Keymaster

Please send the DMP file to support (at) sysprogs.org

Frankenstien
    Participant

Hey bazis … hey all …

I received a topic reply notification for this thread at 1022PDT16APR10, yet when I come in here, I don’t find anything newer than bazis’ last on 12JAN10 at 7:45am …

bazis, did you ever get the DMP files (2) I sent to support (at) sysprogs.org at 1217PST12JAN10?

Thanks, FFF

support
    Keymaster

Yes. The problem is fixed in version 3.3.

Frankenstien
    Participant

Ahhh … great news bazis!

Thanks for your efforts to sort that out … and for the heads up! I’ll give ‘er a whirl.

FFF

highend
    Participant

Is the 3.3 release now digitally signed (for x64)?

Regards,
    Highend

support
    Keymaster

Not yet. The explanation is on the main page. Basically, issuing code signing certificates to individuals rather than companies is not a “usual practice”, so it takes time to negotiate things.

Frankenstien
    Participant

bazis … there must be something unique about my system vis-a-vis the AnyDVD Filter Driver (AnyDVD.sys – even though AnyDVD is disabled from loading on startup … maybe I should uninstall AnyDVD to test WinCDEmu, that is something I haven’t yet tried) that is continuing to cause ‘DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE’ BSODS …

I uninstalled WinCDEmu 3.1, installed ver 3.3 and then tested using an MDS file of an MDS/ISO file pair.

Win Vista Bus. SP2 went through a protracted CD-ROM device driver installation routine (ultimately successful) but the requested virtual drive H:/ never did appear in Windows Explorer, only in Dev Mgr.

The BSODs occur on shutdown of the system.

I’d like to continue to try to get this to work … if you’re still game.

If affirmative, let me know here and I’ll attach a couple more Minidump files to an e-mail to Sysprogs.org for you to examine.

Thanks, FFF

P.S. I notice there is a WinCDEmu settings GUI – is that new with v3.3? I definately have admin rights but have also disabled UAC … should I clear the ‘Require admin … ‘ checkbox?

support
    Keymaster

Please ensure that the AnyDVD filter was removed from the “UpperFilters” for CDROM class (more details here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=457&start=10)

Frankenstien
    Participant

OK bazis … thanks … I’ll look at that again this evening when I’m on that Vista Bus. machine.

Using regedt32, what specific string do you think I should be searching for in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass …

to find the appropriate alpha-numeric key containing (Name)Class (Data)CDROM …

‘AnyDVD.sys’ or ? Or, coming at it another way, should I be able to identify the correct key for the WinCDEmu virtual CD-ROM drive by looking at identifying parameters in Dev Mgr?

Once the correct ‘Upper Filters’ data entry is located, do you suggest that I simply delete the data and carry on testing?

Or, do you think I will I have to uninstall AnyDVD, and, possibly employ devcon to fully erradicate the AnyDVD (Filter Driver) drivers?

I would prefer to leave AnyDVD installed (and configured to not load on startup).

Thanks eh? FFF

support
    Keymaster

Ok, I guess, I posted a slightly incorrect link. Here is the recipe:

Select “start->run” or press “Windows key + R key”, type “regedit”.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class
    Press “Ctrl+F”, type “cdrom”, press ENTER.
    Ensure that the “{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}” class was selected on the left.
    Carefully examine the values on the right. If anything like “UpperFilters”, “LowerFilters” or anything else containing the word “filter” appears there, please either post the values here, or make a screenshot of your regedit window.

If the “UpperFilters” is non-empty, try using devcon to remove it and test whether WinCDEmu works.

As for keeping AnyDVD, I suppose, it uses a filter driver – a special driver, that intercepts the connection between the operating system and the original driver and does some background hacking (e.g. prevents other applications from accessing the drive while recording is in process). The problem is that it has its own internal assumptions about the underlying CDROM driver, that I cannot know. As WinCDEmu emulates only basic features, something confuses the filter driver and it sabotages the virtual device. If you get the exact name of the filter driver and I manage to reproduce the bug on my machine, I might be able to make WinCDEmu satisfy AnyDVD’s expectations. However, I cannot promise any success, as the problem is generally outside WinCDEmu and can be hard to analyze.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.