WinCDEmu is using 8GB RAM

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu WinCDEmu is using 8GB RAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    klischee
    Participant

Hi

I am using WinCDEmu 3.3 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

When I am mounting a virtual CD/DVD and start copying or installing from it, the Ram-usage is growing from second to second, till it reaches the full 8GB my system can offer. I occured this problem also with earlier versions of WinCDEmu. It happens with all sorts of images (.iso, .nrg, .ccd, …).

Is this a known bug, or do you have any idea why this happens?

Anonymous
    Participant

Having a similar issue. My system right now only has 2 GB, but when I mount an ISO and install from it, it will do the same as stated above. My guess would be that WinCDEmu isn’t unloading any memory used during the file reads. That would explain why it seems to only be an issue when using an installer, especially for a game, since those are typically on DVD now and that equates to reading a ton of data. Is there an option anywhere to limit the maximum amount of used memory, instead of all available memory?

support
    Keymaster

This is the way Windows cache subsystem works. If you just read the image file sector-after-sector, Windows will use all free memory to cache its contents. However, if some program wants to allocate it and no other memory is available, this cache memory will be used just as the normal free memory, discarding the cache contents.
    On the other hand, if the effect causes noticable program slowdown rather than just messing with Task Manager memory statistics, please describe it in more detail, so I will investigate.

Upd: please download version 3.4 again, I’ve added a flag that should completely remove all cache-related effects.

klischee
    Participant

It’s more than an “opitcal” issue, it slows down the whole system. I can’t use other programs (or only extreme slow) while installing or copying stuff from mounted images, f.e. I have to close my DVB-T Viewer and other tools (dis)playing stuff in realtime.

As I wrote in the topic, I use WinCDEmu 3.3 (did not tried it with 3.4 yet) on Windows 7 x64, 8GB DDR2 Ram, Intel Q6600 @2,4Ghz. The memory get’s filled with different types of images (iso, ccd, mds, …). It also happened with versions earlier than 3.3. With DaemonTools (which I used before I switched to WinCDEmu) I never had memory issues, if this is from interest.

I don’t know what information you need more in detail to reproduce the problem, please tell me so I can give out more relevant details.

support
    Keymaster

Please try re-downloading version 3.4 again. I have updated the installer.

klischee
    Participant

Did you changed something in 3.4?

I installed a big game from a mounted image with it and did not have a full memory load anymore. ๐Ÿ™‚
    For testing, I copyied 7GB from a big image to hard drive, with only 300-400mb memory usage (that’s absolutely okay).

Seems you fixed it, thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

support
    Keymaster

Disabled a flag that was supposed to turn off read-ahead caching for image file, but apparently caused the side effects instead. As 3.4 was released just 1 day ago (and nobody complained about the issue before), I just updated its installer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.