WinCDEmu breaks File Explorer jump lists in windows 10

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu WinCDEmu breaks File Explorer jump lists in windows 10

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    ayryq
    Participant

This is a bug report, I guess. Since installing Windows 10, on two different computers, I haven’t been able to open any folders, recent or pinned, from the file explorer jump list in the windows 10 taskbar. Uninstalling WinCDEmu immediately fixed the problem. Reinstalling it and the problem comes back.

I’m happy to provide further information if possible. On my end it’s easily reproducible.

Eric

Gisbourne
    Participant

This is a great application, but I have also had a similar problem with WINCDEMU since upgrading to Windows 10 as it appears to break ‘File Explorer’. Symptoms are that explorer.exe never loads and causes the desktop to re-draw. Context menu also fails to show or takes a long time.

Windows application log error as follows:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16431, time stamp: 0x55c9bd76
    Faulting module name: WinCDEmuContextMenu.dll, version: 4.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x556e9513
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000fe04
    Faulting process ID: 0x29ec
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e0e4751dab74
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\x64\WinCDEmuContextMenu.dll
    Report ID: 713ee63f-6c95-4643-94a2-c59c628b8e62
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Calabrel
    Participant

I can confirm this as having compatibility issues with Windows 10.  Please fix as I definitely like this much better than other virtual drive programs.

MELERIX
    Participant

confirmed! I have the same bug, and the only solution is to uninstall WinCDEmu or use version 3.6.

what thing could be causing this ?

maybe can be fixed manually.

randomperson
    Participant

I just started using this program when I switched over to Windows 10 and had the same problem.  I don’t know if it’s truly WinCDEmu’s problem or a bug in Windows 10 since other virtual disc programs seem to cause this problem too.  Luckily there’s a simple workaround with WinCDEmu.  The issue does seem to be with the context menu handler that WinCDEmu adds to folders in File Explorer (as Gisbourne’s post suggests). If you disable that there is no longer a problem with pinned items on jump lists. That context menu handler is responsible for the “Build an ISO image” option that is listed when you right-click a folder, so disabling it will also remove that from your right-click menu that pops up.  That’s fine with me.

(OBLIGATORY WARNING) If you aren’t careful, messing with the registry can make your system unusable!! Back up HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinCDEmu registry key before deleting/modifying!
    To disable it:
    just copy/paste the following lines into a blank .reg file, save it, and double click it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinCDEmu]

OR, if you are comfortable with modifying the registry and want to do it manually (this is exactly the same as the .reg file above) — run regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and delete the WinCDEmu key.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by randomperson. Reason: removed formatting (formatting text not working?)
    randomperson
    Participant

Gisbourne, If you’re still having problems with the context menus after removing the registry key I mentioned above, you could try removing the other context menu handlers (I’ll refer to them as CMHs) WinCDEmu installs.  I don’t work for Sysprogs so I can’t say with 100% certainty, but as far as I can tell, the only things that the “Folder” and “Drive” CMH’s do is add “Build an ISO image” item for folders and drives.  The * (all files) CMH seems to selectively show items for disc image files that are supported by WinCDEmu (.iso, .img, .nrg, etc). When no image is mounted, it shows “Select drive letter & mount”.  If an image is mounted already, it also shows “Mount to an existing virtual drive”.  If you can live without those in the context menu it might be worth trying to delete those CMHs.  Back up the keys first so you can reload them if something in WinCDEmu doesn’t work the way you expect.

The CMH keys are:
    (Folders):  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinCDEmu
    (Drives):  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinCDEmu
    (all files):  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinCDEmu

The default action associated with supported image files is separate, so you can still mount/unmount by double clicking or right-clicking and saying Open With > WinCDEmu Mounter.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by randomperson.
    Calabrel
    Participant

“OR, if you are comfortable with modifying the registry and want to do it manually (this is exactly the same as the .reg file above) — run regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and delete the WinCDEmu key.”

Can confirm, this workaround worked marvelously, I deleted the WinCDEmu key in the registry with regedit and there is no longer an issue.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Calabrel.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Deleting the registry key would also break some context menus like “Create ISO from folder”.

It looks like we have found and fixed the problem. Could you try this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/WinCDEmu/WinCDEmu-4.1.exe?

MELERIX
    Participant

bug is still present with version 4.1

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Have you tried uninstalling WinCDEmu 4.0, restarting and installing WinCDEmu 4.1? Perhaps the old plugin was still loaded.

If this does not help, could you try running the instrumented build here and sending us the %LOCALAPPDATA%\WinCDEmuLog.txt file? It should explain what causes the crash.

MELERIX
    Participant

uninstalled WinCDEmu 4.1.

the following files were not deleted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\mkisofs.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\x64\WinCDEmuContextMenu.dll

anyway I restarted and after restart the following file was deleted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\x64\WinCDEmuContextMenu.dll

but this file is still present:

C:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\mkisofs.exe

so I deleted the file manually.

now I installed WinCDEmu 4.1 again and the bug is still present, Jump List items in the Start Menu are not working.

and there is no log file.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by MELERIX.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by MELERIX.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks, this is strange. Please try uninstalling 4.1 and installing this build. It should create a log file and show what is going on.

MELERIX
    Participant

ok, this is in the log file:

Loading settings…
    Initializing translation engine…
    Unloading…

nothing else.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Looks like the problem might be caused by the translation engine. Can you try temporarily deleting the c:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\langfiles folder and restarting? Does this solve the problem?

MELERIX
    Participant

ok, I deleted “langfiles” folder, restarted, and now Jump List is working fine again, but WinCDEmu context menu (when you do right click in a ISO file) is missing.

anyway I can mount the ISO manually using “open with” menu option and selecting “WinCDEmu mounter”.

so maybe is something with langfiles and context menu causing the bug ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.