VisualGDB with own build chain (make)

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB with own build chain (make)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SchodMC
    Participant

Hi,

I have VisualGDB and until now I only used it with the “Quick Debug” function. That work’s fine, but I want to change it.

What I want to do is press F5 in Visual Studio, let VS compile the source, let VisualGDB copy the binary to the remote machine and start debugging. The “problem” is, that I have an own build chain (Visual Studio will  call make and use an own cygwin enviroment). How can I tell VisualGDB to function in that way and accept my user defined build chain?

My Specs:

• Visual Studio 2013
    • VisualGDB, Licence Custom

Greetings & Thanks

SchodMC

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can do it in 2 different ways:

• Select “Specify the toolchain manually” in the project wizard. VisualGDB will try to guess the right parameters for your toolchain and setup a Makefile for you.
    • Use the Custom project wizard to just specify the build command line. VisualGDB will run it “as is” and won’t ask for anything else.
    SchodMC
    Participant

Thanks for that information.

But how can I make this with an already existing projekt (I already have everything: solution, project files, …). And this will be used by other developers that don’t have Visual GDB. :-/ What I need is to add some kind of configuration (or something like that) to my existing project, so that I will be able to use VisualGDB, while can continue to work without having VisualGDB installed.

EDIT: When I try to add an Visual GDB Configuration manually, and I want ot cross compile, I have to select gdb.exe. But I just want that this Visual GDB Linux Configuration to call make and make the debugging procedure like quick debug make it. Is that possible?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by SchodMC.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can try the following:

• Create a new VisualGDB project
    • Copy and rename the <Project>-<Configuration>.vgdbsettings file to the new project
    • Select the .vgdbsettings file as the primary output of your project via Visual Studio project properties
    • Open VisualGDB Project Properties for the new project and adjust your settings

As long as the .vgdbsettings file is set as the primary project output, once you press F5, VisualGDB will automatically engage and use the settings from the .vgdbsettings file to start debugging.

SchodMC
    Participant

That works, thanks! 🙂 Now I have some other problems, but I will open other threads for it.

support
    Keymaster

No problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.