VisualGDB file SessionServer.exe

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB file SessionServer.exe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    danielone
    Participant

Hello,

Can you kindly confirm that the file SessionServer.exe found in the VisualGDB installation directory is part of the VisualGDB application? Can you kindly explain what does this executable do?

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, it’s a part of the VisualGDB installation responsible for the floating license mechanism. If you are using a floating license, it will run in the background, fetching up-to-date session keys from our licensing server to all running VisualGDB instances.

danielone
    Participant

Many thanks,

Just for you to know that it has ben caught by my anti virus program (Avira free edition) today (first time despite I installed VisualGDB time ago)…

It detected it as a trojan “Downloader.MSIL.D.” It obviously immediately looked like a false positive to me and I inserted the file in the exception list.

Just for you to know if other users might incur in the same issue.

Regards.

support
    Keymaster

No problem. Unfortunately most of the modern antivirus software is not very practical – it tries to either search every exe file against a large database of regular expressions (triggering random false positives for high-entropy compressed images like the toolchain installers) or to flag every file that would issue HTTP requests (like our session server) as suspicious.

We have briefly rechecked with VirusTotal and Avira doesn’t report it as suspicious, so it’s hard to say why it’s triggering on your side. Please consider submitting a false positive request to them with the exact details of your antivirus version & type (we can only do that if we see false positives from major AV vendors on Virus Total). Also if you are not planning to use the floating license, you can simply delete the file.

Update: we have created a page listing the components that most often trigger false positives with antivirus software: https://visualgdb.com/documentation/falsepositives/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by support.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.