VisualGDB fail with wiringPi

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB fail with wiringPi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    harewei
    Participant

Hi

I have installed VisualGDB VisualGDB-4.3r4-trial on my Visual Studio 2013 Update 3.  I also have a raspberry pi 2 which has ubuntu installed.  I tried the tutorial on http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/raspberry/crosscompiler/ which all works fine.  The problem begins when I tried it with http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/raspberry/wiringPi/

Firstly, when I try to synchronize sysroot, it fails at two parts (the others work though)

Downloading /lib…
    tar: ufw/user6.rules: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: ufw/user.rules: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

and

Downloading /usr/lib…
    tar: cups/backend/gutenprint52+usb: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: cups/backend/serial: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

So ignoring the errors, I proceeded with building the wiringPi code.  If I run without debug, the console appears and says wiringPiSetup: Must be root. (Did you forget sudo?)

I tried the same code except I built it straight on the raspberry pi 2, and everything works.  I am not too sure I’m logged in as root, since I only have 1 host name on the pi.  When I tried to set up SSH connection with username root, it always fails at the password part (although I can enter with that password fine on ubuntu when using sudo su).  I also tried checking the “Run debugger as root with sudo” in the Debug settings page, but it didn’t fix the problem.

Thanks

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by harewei.
    harewei
    Participant

An update, ok now I’m logged in as root.  The sync sysroot no longer have permission denied, but they doesn’t seem to finish after the download is complete (I waited for like 10mins), so I had to click cancel.

As to running the program, it no longer ask for run as root, but it LED on my raspberry pi 2 does not respond to the control.

harewei
    Participant

Update: GPIO works now, I accidentally controlled the wrong output.  All that’s left not working is the sysroot part

Just a reference for future users who couldn’t log in as root, you have to change PermitRootLogin without-password to PermitRootLogin yes

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by harewei.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you. You can also avoid logging on as root by fixing the permissions in /usr/lib (sudo chmod -R a+r /lib) and specifying “Run GDB as root” in VisualGDB Project Properties.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.