Visual Studio crashes after a SEGFAULT or an ABORT signal

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Visual Studio crashes after a SEGFAULT or an ABORT signal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hromain
    Participant

Hi,

Since the current version handles well the display of complex objects coming from the STL, we try to use VisualGDB to debug our huge application (>300 k lines of code).

When we interrupt the execution manually or when a breakpoint is reached, VisualGDB is pretty stable (it has crashed once).

But when the program stops after a segfault or an abort signal, then the dialog appears, and we must choose between stopping the program or debug it.

When we click on “debug” then Visual Studio 2015 itself crashes.

If we test the same situation with the Visual Studio native compiler/debugger (our code is cross platform), the debug works properly. And if I reproduce the segfault on QTCreator, no crash either : gdb and the QTCreator IDE work well.

I can imagine that the bug occurs due to a particularity in our code, or at least because of its size.

Is it possible to attempt to fix this bug ? If necessary, I can install a specific debug version of Visual GDB and send you a bug report. A remote session is possible too.

Cheers

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by hromain.
    hromain
    Participant

The situation is worse than I expected : the crash occurs at each F11 call too (step into a function).

Help…

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, please try installing this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.2.12.1259.msi

If the problem persists, please select ‘debug’, attach another instance of Visual Studio to the crashed one and check the call stack for the information about the exception location.

If you are able to track the exception, we should be able to fix it easily. If not, let us know the details you can gather and we will try to help you pinpoint this.

hromain
    Participant

I have installed the proposed version and have attached a second instance of visual studio to the one with visualgdb.

When Visual Studio crashes, the standard windows dialog appears “visual studio has stopped working” and it stops the attachment on the other instance without doing a break which would allow to see the backtrace…

So I cannot debug the crashed visual studio.

I have tried dozen of combination of exception settings, it doesnt change anything.

Do you have a tip to make the debug of visual studio possible ?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by hromain.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, please try selecting “Attach To -> Select -> Managed (v4.6, …) and Native”. Selecting both Managed and Native should catch the crash properly.

hromain
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks to the backtrace, I understood that the crash was caused by a conflict between Visual GDB and an other Visual Studio plug-in (WinGDB)

I have removed WinGDB on my system and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Thank you for the tip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.