VGDB Not executing custom debug steps

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VGDB Not executing custom debug steps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BitFlipper
    Participant

Hi,

I have VGDB Custom Edition V5.4R2, and I cannot get it to execute a custom debug step. Under Custom Debug Steps > After Debugger Exits I have an entry to run a command on the local computer.

When I run and debug the code, that part works, however when the remote program exits, VGDB does not run the command locally as expected.

I have had success previously with running remote commands to get the PID of a process for instance, but I have not had success running a local command after GDB exits. I have confirmed that the command is not disabled. I even typed in an invalid command and there was no error or anything.

Please let me know how to run a local command after a debug session exits.

Thanks!

BitFlipper
    Participant

I have confirmed that it runs the command if placed under Before launching debugger, but it does not run if placed under After debugger exits. I need the script to run after the debugger exits.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have tried reproducing this with a simple MinGW-based project (running notepad.exe after gdb exits) and it did work as expected, so the problem is likely triggered by some specific combination of settings.

Please try reproducing it on a freshly created project and share the archive with the project so that we could see what is going on. Also if you discover that the problem is specific to a particular project type, or a particular scenario that can be reproduced without the project archive, please let us know.

BitFlipper
    Participant

Sorry for the belated reply…

I had a chance to try and repro this with a simple project, however I cannot get it to repro the issue except in my main project. My main project is a Custom project using NMake that runs GDB on a remote system (not GDB server). So it is not MinGW-based. I’m not sure if that could be related.

Anyway, I played with creating a similar Custom project that uses NMake, but could not get it to repro the issue that I see in my main project. If I have more time I’ll continue to narrow down the issue further and post again once I have more info.

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

No worries. If 2 very similar projects behave differently, it might be caused by an internal exception in VisualGDB while it’s handling a different part of the startup sequence. Please check View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console for details.

If this doesn’t reveal anything, please try combining different parts of working and broken project (e.g. .vcxproj file from project A with .vgdbsettings file from project B, or <Build> element from project A with the <Debug> element from project B inside the .vgdbsettings file). This should help narrow it down fairly easily.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.