User specific virtual folder in STM32CubeMx projects

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB User specific virtual folder in STM32CubeMx projects

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Timo Engelmann
    Participant

Hi there,

I try currently to switch over from a MSBuild based STM32 project structure to the “new” CMake based STM32CubeMx project structure.
    I read this tutorial for that: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/stm32/cube/advanced/
    and it seams everything very good.
    But I need some user defined virtual folders in the Visual Studio Solution Explorer.
    The attached screenshot “VisualGDB_PrjStructure_MSBuild.jpg” shows my the current project structure with several Filter folders.
    VisualGDB_PrjStructure_MSBuild.jpg
    The filter folders 01_… to 03_… and 05_… contains my own code.
    The 04_BSP contains the STM32CubeMx generated code but also my own BSP additions.
    Additional the Doxy Folder contains the settings for Doxygen.

Now in the new structure I try to add a virtual folder on  Project Level by using the context menu (see attached screenshot “VisualGDB_AddVirtualFolder.jpg”)
    VisualGDB_AddVirtualFolder.jpg
    But unfortunately the virtual folder is added in “ProjectFolder/Source Files/New Virtual Filter”
    But I don’t like the separation in “Source Files” and “Header Files”.

Is there a way to move or create the virtual folders on the same level as “STM32CubeMxFiles”?

Thanks for a helpful answer and best regards,
    Timo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Timo Engelmann
    Participant

With a painting tool I have rearrange the original folder structure of the STM32CubeMX CMake project in screenshot “VisualGDB_Original_Folder_Structure.jpg”

• For me the perfect structure would be as shown in “VisualGDB_Perfect_Folder_Structure.jpg”
    • Also good would be the structure shown in “VisualGDB_Good_Folder_Structure.jpg”
    • Not really good, but ok would be the structure shown in “VisualGDB_Ok_Folder_Structure.jpg”

It would be really cool if you have a solution for that.

Greetings Timo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem, this can be easily configured via VS properties (not VisualGDB Project Properties) for the top-level project node in Solution Explorer (with the triangle icon).

You can simply set the Sorting/Grouping -> Groups Sources By Types to False, and the source/header files filters will disappear throughout the project.

The STM32CubeMX files item is a special case though – it internally counts as a BSP item (like the one with the chip icon), but is displayed underneath the main executable to improve usability.

You can try creating a virtual target folder via context menu of the top-level project node and moving it there. Currently, this triggers a bug where the folder will appear in both places, but if using target folders for the STM32CubeMX files folder works for you, we can easily fix it.

Timo Engelmann
    Participant

Hello support team,

thank you very much for the quick and helpful answer.
    I will not move the STM32CubeMx folder. For me it is ok that this folder is on the upper level.

This is equal to my “Good Folder Structure“.

I repeat myself: thank you very much!
    Besides the functionality, it is the very good and fast support why I love this tool!

Have a nice day and best regards,
    Timo

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know it works and thanks for the kind words.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.