Unable to get Android installed

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Unable to get Android installed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Beuken
    Participant

Hi

I decided to do a small test project on Android, but when setting up a new project I had to install the latest Android, but it seems that I am unable to install to the directory.

Not really too sure why its locked, is there anything obvious I should have done or is there something else that might be locking it such as Visual Studio 2017 itself?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The latest versions of the Android tools are highly coupled with the Android Studio, so the recommended workflow is to install Android Studio, create a project and then import it into VisualGDB. This will enable the new Advanced CMake Project Subsystem, while letting you use Android Studio to debug Java code, so you will get the best from both worlds.

Please follow this tutorial for detailed instructions: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/cmake/

Brian Beuken
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll try that.

Brian Beuken
    Participant

Well after much swearing and stress I got Android Studio to install, and  download multiple version of the SDK but attempting to import it threw up errors

I created the default app in Android studio and confirmed it built and ran (on emulator) quit, ad then fired up Visual Studio 2017 to import a project as described, but the import did not go smoothly

first it said it could not detect the compiler version from my make file, and I would need to specify build arguments e.g NDK_MODULE_PATH

I was forced to ignore and continue

The project then loads and creates itself, but the Toolchain test fails with Cannot query the value of TARGET_CXX please double check you setting

I again had to ignore as I have no way to set this during the import

The same error occurs again ignored

I then get to a project with my app but of course it does not build, giving me a range of issues,

incluing the NDK 64bit build bug, but when I look at the init.mk file the fix is already in place….

So…basically  import does not seem to get me to a working build on VisualGDB

Can you offer any advice?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like you are using an older VisualGDB build that does not support Android CMake projects. Please update to VisualGDB 5.3R8.

Brian Beuken
    Participant

Thats possible, I don’t update very often, I will update now and let you know.

thanks

Brian Beuken
    Participant

nope, without doubt this has been the most painful 8 hours or so I’v eever experienced trying to get anything to work. Finally Android studio builds a working project, but then Visual GDB didn’t give me any option to import…… The attempt to manually locate the SDK/NDK is met with a lack of SDKManager.exe so it cant locate it, even though Android studio spent the best part of an hour installing the sdk and the preferred platforms.

What should be a simple, press of a Start a project for me, turned into a living hell…. I can’t work with this.

please let me know when you manage to actually get a project to start up so I can do a hello world in less than 5 mins, until the, I can’t take the stress.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Brian Beuken.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Brian Beuken.
    Brian Beuken
    Participant

it would appear that VisualGDB is only able to identify the Android SDK directory from the presence of SDK Manager.exe, but Android studio does not itself install that when it sets up its tools and platforms directory. So while it eventually is possible to set up Android Studio, Visual GDB can’t appear to do much with the project it imports as it can’t set up the Android SDK dirs without that SDK Manager.

I’m really quite lost and quite tired of this, it simply does not work as it should.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We are sorry about this. We have recently tested VisualGDB with the latest Android SDK and it managed to import the project as shown in our tutorial (you can simply copy-paste the SDK directory into VisualGDB Android Settings if the SDK Manager is missing from your installation).

If you encounter any further problems, please feel free to share the details and we will help you resolve them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.