TFS Build Not finding tool chain

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB TFS Build Not finding tool chain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dabramson
    Participant

The solution cannot be built through the build server. Each project in the solution fails with the following error:

##[error]C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\MSBuild\SysprogsPlatform.targets(84,2): Error : No toolchain found. Please configure the toolchain via VisualGDB Project Properties.

I can build and rebuild the solution manually without issue by opening the solution in the build agent’s workspace in Visual Studio and building.

We have TFS2017 Update 1, Visual Studio 2017 15.7.4, VGDB 5.4 Preview 3 (build 2193).

I followed the tutorial (Building VisualGDB projects with Team Foundation Server) with some slight deviations.

1. I’m using the MSBuild step instead of the “Visual Studio Build” step because the latter does not identify VS2017 on the agent machine. With the MSBuild step I can specify the location of MSBuild 15.0
    2.  TFS did not automatically pick-up on the shared settings (step 29. in tutorial), so I had to manually sync with the /teamsync option via the command line. All of the libraries synced up just fine, but the toolchain could not be installed because of a company group policy that does not allow programs to be executed from the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp directory (where the toolchain installer is downloaded to. So I copied the toolchain installer downloaded to the Temp directory to a different location and manually ran it to install the toolchain

Please Help!

Thanks,

Dave

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The easiest way to fix this is to run Visual Studio manually on the TFS build server (from the same user account that is used by TFS) and create a new project using the VisualGDB project wizard (importing the toolchain if needed). This should ensure that VisualGDB can find all the necessary components and will automatically fix TFS-based builds.

If this is not possible, let us know and we will provide alternate steps on diagnosing why the toolchain is not detected.

dabramson
    Participant

Hello,

The build agent was running as a network service. I changed it to running under a domain account and things seem to be going much better. It looks like the team sharing is syncing in the MSBuild step, and the toolchain is found.

Thanks,

Dave

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know it works. Running TFS as the regular user is indeed the officially supported way. This scenario is included in our internal tests, so it should normally work out-of-the-box without any friction.

Let us know if you encounter any further issues and we will be happy to help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.