SmarTTY: Paste problem – Linebreaks deleted

Sysprogs forums Forums Other tools & products SmarTTY: Paste problem – Linebreaks deleted

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CodeSatori
    Participant

When I paste code from the clipboard into e.g. Nano or Joe, line-breaks are eaten up whenever the text isn’t indented (Nano), or altogether (Joe). It doesn’t matter whether the clipboard source uses \n (*nix) or \r\n (DOS). In Putty, pasting works as expected with DOS style line-breaks, though produces the same result with \n only. It does not happen if the line starts with a space/tab character.

It’s rather important to be able to paste in code without mangling up the line-breaks, so this is a bit of a deal-breaker for a terminal tool I nearly fell in love with already. I’m sure you can do something about the way clipboard contents are fed in on paste so as to preserve line-breaks when they exist in the original. (I’m guessing SmarTTY simply strips \r from the clipboard contents? An option to disable this, pretty please?)

Here are screenshots to illustrate the issue.

Putty \r\n paste to Nano:

Putty \n paste to Nano:

Putty \r\n paste to Joe:

SmarTTY any paste to Nano:

SmarTTY any paste to Joe:

In other words, the result of any line-breaked paste to SmarTTY matches the result of pasting Unix-break text in Putty. However, Putty works okay with DOS-linebreak format, and the code flows in as-is.

I’ve fiddled with Nano’s and Joe’s options left, right and center with no success in getting them to understand line-breaks in \n only clipboard data (using whatever program). However I’m quite happy clicking my line-breaks to DOS format if that lets me paste it in as-is. I’d love to do this with SmarTTY too. Thanks very much!

• This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by CodeSatori.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by CodeSatori.
    CodeSatori
    Participant

Another curiosity with the paste is, when I paste something straight into bash with CTRL+V, and then hit return, instead of return, “^M” is appended to the end of the line.

I don’t have the “Action on CTRL+V…” option checked for “Copy/Paste”, for obvious reasons, ‘cos I rather like to keep CTRL+C available for other purposes. You think you could map something like SHIFT+CTRL+C/V for copy-paste, so we can use them seamlessly, without conflicting with common control keys?

Further: There’s frequently the following error when I paste in a line, and hit CTRL+C right after that. (Why would I do that? SmarTTY often, somehow, mysteriously copies stuff on the clipboard that overrides what I already had there.) It may be that a few rounds of fine-tuning and testing the copy/paste functionality of SmarTTY is in order. Otherwise I’m loving it, so keep up the good work please. ^_^

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by CodeSatori.
    CodeSatori
    Participant

Would be brilliant to eventually have a reply on this one. The “native style” remote file editor is also glitchy, fails to write despite being logged in as root, on save suggests “try again with sudo”?

Meanwhile, will keep watching SmarTTY future versions, but for now I’m back to mRemoteNG. More basic but gets the job done. Too much hassle to bother with two tools for one job…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.