"Show All Files" squashes folders

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB "Show All Files" squashes folders

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bmcdonnell_psi
    Participant

Why does the “Show All Files” option in VS Solution Explorer not show the folder structure from the file system for VisualGDB? This is inconsistent with its normal behavior.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB should not interfere with this command. If you believe it does, please try reproducing this with one VisualGDB-based and one non-VisualGDB based projects and post screenshots here. We should be able to investigate it based on that.

bmcdonnell_psi
    Participant

On further inspection, I think part of the issue is that the source files for my main project don’t reside in the same folder as the project file (.vcxproj), nor in a subfolder beneath it.

However, in the new test project I created, the library source files are not grouped in folders, which makes quite a mess. In fact, I suppose the cause is the same as I described above – source files located not within/beneath the project file folder.

Is it possible to show some of the organization with such files? If so, is it desirable?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot. The behavior you are describing happens because the library files like stm32f0xx.h are located outside the project directory and are shared between all of your projects. Visual Studio’s ‘show all files’ view is based on the physical location of the files and hence shows them flat.

One workaround would be to convert the project to a stand-alone one via the first page of VisualGDB Project Properties. This will copy all the STM32-specific files to a subdirectory inside the project directory and the ‘show all files’ should show them accordingly.

bmcdonnell_psi
    Participant

That works, thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.