semihosting is not showing up in visualgdb output

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB semihosting is not showing up in visualgdb output

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AEHadi
    Participant

on visual studio 2019 with most updated version 16.9.1 . I have gotten semihosting to work on a seperate templated project however for this project it is not showing up in the visualgdb output window. All that shows is the openocd tab. you can see all my settings, cmake find_bsp function, and the visualgdb output in the windows. I’m running this on hardware and when it executes a printf, nothing happens. What can I do to fix this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    arrow201
    Participant

In q2-1.png, it shows “Minimal (no semihosting)”, shouldn’t “Support semihosting” instead be selected? There’s good info here: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/semihosting/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by arrow201.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by arrow201.
    support
    Keymaster

@arrow201, thanks for pointing this out!

AEHadi
    Participant

I’m very confused. In that tutorial it says to NOT choose “Support semihosting” and instead choose what I chose. Otherwise I’ll get a “multiple definition of _isatty” error. just as the tutorial points out on step 10.

Also, if I do choose “support semihosting”  and then uncheck “fast semihosting and embeedded profiler” in the frameforks tab, it gives me a different error of unable to find FastSemihosting.h . But again, I had these same settings in a different templated project and it worked. Why not this one.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by AEHadi.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for clarifying this. Most likely, you have skipped some other step of the tutorial then.

We can gladly help you recheck everything if you could share the exact steps you follow, from the very beginning to reproducing the problem, including all relevant screenshots. Please see our problem reporting guidelines for a very detailed example.

AEHadi
    Participant

I just found the problem. I left out \n at the end of printf . However I still find it strange that the console still never showed up like in the other project does even without the \n.

support
    Keymaster

The ‘\n’ behavior could vary between different C library versions and environments. Please see step 6 of the tutorial for an explanation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.