Running project locally with cross-compiler vs linux network

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Running project locally with cross-compiler vs linux network

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    VirtualLife
    Participant

Basically never used Linux before, and I can get GDB to work when compiling on the Pi, but can’t get it to work compiling on my server.

I chose to install the toolchain when I setup the project, but I keep getting the error:
    Tool arguments:
    bash: /tmp/VisualGDB_ToolchainTestProgram_Deployed: No such file or directory

Completely lost, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Could you please verify that the /tmp directory on your Raspberry PI device exists and is writable? You can check it by connecting to your Raspberry PI via SmarTTY and running the following command:

ls -l / | grep tmp
    VirtualLife
    Participant

Running that command returns:
    drwxrwxrwt 6 root root 4096 Dec 1 15:17 tmp

The tmp dir has 2 folders in it
    ssh-90TtbSWW6oiU VisualGDB
    The VisualGDB folder has the code from where I am running it to compile on the pi directly. No idea what the other folder is.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for finding that out. It looks like your GCC does not create a valid binary when being tested, but also does not return any error code and that confuses VisualGDB. Could you please press the “ignore” button in the error dialog and see whether a buildable project is created?

VirtualLife
    Participant

Clicking ignore gets me to the code as expected.

When clicking run, it takes about a minute (would have expected much quicker compiling locally) and then gives a popup error:
    Warning: The gdbserver has exited with code 1. Do you want to abort debugging.

Clicking no makes it run for another 30 seconds and pops up:
    Failed to start debugging session. GDB has reported the following error: ^error,msg=”The program is not being run.”
    Please build your project first. If this does not help, check GDB startup parameteres in VisualGDB project settings.

Also in the GDB session window it outputs:
    No symbol “disassembly” in current context.
    192.168.1.69:2000: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
    The program is not being run.
    Invalid thread id: 1
    No registers.
    No registers.
    No registers.
    No registers.
    No registers.
    No registers.
    No registers.
    No registers.
    No registers.

The GDB error log says(FlashGrowDB being the project name):
    Process /tmp/FlashGrowDB created; pid = 6283
    Cannot exec /tmp/FlashGrowDB: No such file or directory.
    Child exited with status 127
    No program to debug. GDBserver exiting.

I also tried just clicking build and that seems to work fine. I get:
    1>

Build started: Project: FlashGrowDB, Configuration: Debug Win32

1> VisualGDB: Attempting inline build…
    1> VisualGDB: Executing prebuild actions
    1> VisualGDB: Run “cmd.exe /c “C:SysGCCraspberrybinmake.exe” CONFIG=Debug” in directory “C:inetpubwwwrootFlashGrowDBFlashGrowDB” on local computer
    1> make: Nothing to be done for `all’.
    1> VisualGDB: Executing postbuild actions
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Re-running the project after doing the build made no difference in the error messages.

Something else I just noticed, when first creating the project(clicking next on the linux computer selection tab) , I get errors on Checking rm and checking cp. Not sure if that matters.

Also, I have tried this from 2 different PC’s with 2 different RaPi’s with no difference.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like the project is successfully built but fails to be deployed to Raspberry Pi. Try deploying manually to see if it fixes the problem.
    To do it, in Visual Studio go to Tools->SSH Host Manager and open a console using the Raspberry Pi connection. You can use the SCP menu to transfer the project’s executable from C:inetpubwwwrootFlashGrowDBFlashGrowDBDebug” to /tmp on Raspberry Pi.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.