Reload debug symbols after breakpoint has hit

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Reload debug symbols after breakpoint has hit

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kurt
    Participant

My setup:

1. Debug symbols are stripped from the executable before deploying to target
    2. Run symbol-file <exe.debug> at the beginning when deploying.

I’m trying to speed up the overall process of debug/deploy, and step #2 usually takes 4-5 seconds on my target device.  Normally, I don’t expect bad things to happen, so, I came up with an idea:  don’t do step 2 until the breakpoint or assert hits.

Issues with this idea:

1. After the breakpoint hits, I call symbol-file. The Call Stack window is still grayed out.  However, if I go the Thread window and switched threads, the Call Stack is now lit, and with the correct function names.  Would be nice if it gets updated automatically.
    2. When I double-click an entry in the Call Stack, I still get the “Source not available:  Frame not in module window”.  However, if I do a bt and ft <n> from the gdb console, I can see the function lines.  Is there a way to refresh the VS/VGDB debugging windows without restarting?

Thanks, guys!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please ensure you are using the latest VisualGDB 5.3R8. It includes special logic for handling this – if you run any command that output “Loaded symbols for <…>” via the GDB session window, it will automatically re-query and update the call stack.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.