Overriding recipe for target

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Overriding recipe for target

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hvbill
    Participant

Hi,

I have created a new LEDBlink project with help from the Embedded project Wizard. Everything is default except for that I chose to build it as a Static Library.

When I compile the project I get the following messages:

overriding recipe for target `Debug/VisualGDB_static_lib.a' VisualGDB_static_lib D:\src\VisualGDB_static_lib\VisualGDB_static_lib\Makefile 189 
    ignoring old recipe for target `Debug/VisualGDB_static_lib.a' VisualGDB_static_lib D:\src\VisualGDB_static_lib\VisualGDB_static_lib\Makefile 186

Any ideas how I can get rid of it?

Could it have something to do with the linker script setting in VisualGDB project properties?

I’m running:
    VS 2017 15.9.3
    VisualGDB 5.4R2
    ARM toolchain (GCC 7.2.0, GDB8.0.10)
    Windows 10

hvbill
    Participant

Forgot to mention that I’ve read this post

Getting warning about overriding recipe and ignoring old recipe on library proje

But I can’t remove the linker script.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting this. The warning is indeed triggered by the syntax used in the VisualGDB’s Makefile. Please try changing the rules near the $(LINKER_SCRIPT) check as shown below:

EXTRA_DEPENDENCIES :=

ifneq ($(LINKER_SCRIPT),)
    EXTRA_DEPENDENCIES += $(LINKER_SCRIPT)
    endif

ifeq ($(TARGETTYPE),APP)
    $(BINARYDIR)/$(TARGETNAME): $(all_objs) $(EXTERNAL_LIBS) $(EXTRA_DEPENDENCIES)
    	$(LD) -o $@ $(LDFLAGS) $(START_GROUP) $(all_objs) $(LIBRARY_LDFLAGS) $(END_GROUP)
    endif

ifeq ($(TARGETTYPE),SHARED)
    $(BINARYDIR)/$(TARGETNAME): $(all_objs) $(EXTERNAL_LIBS) $(EXTRA_DEPENDENCIES)
    	$(LD) -shared -o $@ $(LDFLAGS) $(START_GROUP) $(all_objs) $(LIBRARY_LDFLAGS) $(END_GROUP)
    endif

ifeq ($(TARGETTYPE),STATIC)
    $(BINARYDIR)/$(TARGETNAME): $(all_objs) $(EXTRA_DEPENDENCIES)
    	$(AR) -r $@ $^
    endif

If this triggers errors, please double-check that the ‘tab’ symbol before the $(LD) and $(AR) commands got copied correctly.

We have also updated VisualGDB internally so that it will now use the new rule syntax for new projects that won’t trigger any warnings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.