MSP430 TinyEmbeddedTest

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB MSP430 TinyEmbeddedTest

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    scheet89
    Participant

Hi,

I created a new TinyEmbeddedTest project to work with my MSP430FR2355 processor, but I get errors while compiling:

SysprogsProfilerInterface.h: No such file or directory

I noticed that the project doesn’t have Semihosting/Profiler sources and Embedded Frameworks window is empty in project settings. If I add things manually, I get error:

'AngelSWI_ARM' was not declared in this scope in FastSemihosting.cpp

I came to conclusion that the Semihosting is only supported with ARM devices, but couldn’t find any documentation about that.

Could you confirm that TinyEmbeddedTest doesn’t support MSP430? Or maybe I am doing something wrong? Is there a plan to give the support for MSPs?

Thank you!

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, the VisualGDB unit test functionality only supports the following devices:

• ARM-Cortex devices capable of background memory reads, such as Cortex-M0, M3, M4, M7.
    • Any devices compatible with the ARM mbed framework when using Advanced mbed projects.
    • ESP32 device when using the Advanced ESP-IDF project.

As MSP430 devices are considerably different from the ARM devices, the TinyEmbeddedTest framework will not work for them.

That said, Embedded Integration Tests do not require any special support on the device side and will work with any debuggable device architecture, including MSP430.

scheet89
    Participant

Thank you for vey quick and detailed answer!

Ruslan
    Participant

Hi,

You mentioned testing ESP32 devices.
    Please explain some differences between esp32 and stm32 testing.
    A few months ago, our company developed a device using stm32. We used the TinyEmbeddedTest framework to test the code, but now we need to use esp32 with the same code.

And I understand that another framework is used for testing?

not TinyEmbeddedTest?

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for confirming your support status.

The ESP32 devices come with their own highly specialized SDK (ESP-IDF). The SDK enforces splitting the project into multiple components referenced by one or more applications, and allows creating special unit test targets for the components. This layout is considerably different from the regular embedded projects, hence, instead of porting TinyEmbeddedTest to it, VisualGDB reuses the regular ESP-IDF testing functionality, extending it to report the test results directly via JTAG.

You can find a detailed tutorial explaining the ESP32 unit tests here: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/tests/

Ruslan
    Participant

Thanks for answer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.