LPC24xx Request

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB LPC24xx Request

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    codex653
    Participant

I’ve been a long time fan of VGDB and use it extensively for my personal projects. Now that I’ve taken a job at a company that does a large amount of embedded development, I’ve run into the issue of not having VGDB available to me. You make things so easy! I’m currently working on a system that utilizes the NXP LPC24xx series of microcontrollers and we are using the AxD debugger from ARM over a J-Link, which is an enormous pain in the butt coming from VGDB. I noticed you guys already had quite extensive support for many LPC chips, but not the 24xx series. Is there any chance that chip could be added? Our current debugger is a massive headache to deal with and is a constant source of complaint. To my knowledge this is currently our best solution, but I would love to push/try for VGDB as an alternative for a debugger, if simply just for selfish reasons.

If it’s not possible to add it, would there be any guidance documented on trying to support it myself? I just really want to use the nice VGDB environment. The AxD software hasn’t been updated since 2001…need I say more?! *sigh.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for your feedback. We will try to clarify the reasoning behind various supported device families below.

VisualGDB comes with out-of-the-box support for many popular devices and also device families that are getting increased traction. This effectively splits the cost of maintaining support for those device families between many users, helping us offer high product quality at a competitive price.

Unfortunately this also means that we cannot offer support for less popular device families like LPC24xx as a part of our regular products without considerably raising the prices, hence we offer several workarounds:

• First of all, you can easily create a project manually by following the legacy device tutorial: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/legacy/.
    • Second of all we publish sources for our tools responsible for generating BSPs for supported devices, so you can create your own BSP generator based on them.
    • Finally, we could do if for you as a part of our paid consulting services. Feel free to write an email to our sales to get a quote.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.