Issue with starting Debug with OpenOCD on STM Board

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Issue with starting Debug with OpenOCD on STM Board

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tanevitt
    Participant

Hello,

I am using VS2017 with VisualGDB on Windows 7 64bit (up to date) and target is STM32L476G-Eval board (firmware up to date, and connecting via ST-LINK utility.) I am experiencing an issue when attempting to test the degbug. Specifically, I get the messages

Error: open failed
    in procedure ‘init’
    in procedure ‘ocd_Bouncer’

If I click on “show exception details” I get:

System.Exception: open failed
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.DebugMethodTestWindow.ThrowTestFailedException()
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.DebugMethodTestWindow.TestThreadBody()

This issue is similar to this form post:

VisualGDB doesn't connect to target STM32F4

However, this fix in this instance of rolling back the version of open OCD did not resolve the issue. I’ve tried the following configurations:

Visual GDB v5.3 with Open OCD 20180524-0.10.0
    Visual GDB v5.3 with Open OCD 20180112-0.10.0
    Visual GDB v5.4 with Open OCD 20180112-0.10.0
    Visual GDB v5.4 with Open OCD 20180728-0.10.0
    Visual GDB v5.4 with Open OCD 20180524-0.10.0

All of which give me the same issue as shown in the screenshot. We have also tried selecting different debug protocols but this is not making any difference.

Thank you, and please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by tanevitt.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately that’s a tough one to diagnose. It typically indicates some sort of incompatibility between the libusb library (used by OpenOCD) and your USB controller driver (or some filter driver, e.g. provided by USB virtualization software). As the issue is caused in an external component, and we won’t be able to reproduce it on our side (as it’s specific to a certain USB driver), it’s hard for us to suggest definitive steps for resolving it.

Our general advice would be to try it on a different machine with a different USB controller or to try reinstalling all USB-related drivers (e.g. ST-Link driver, USB controller driver). Another option would be to build our OpenOCD fork from sources (see this tutorial) and try stepping through the USB-related functions. If you are OK going through this process, we can help you find the relevant parts of the OpenOCD code and will include a patch for the issue in our OpenOCD fork we could pinpoint it based on your observations.

P.S. Please double-check that you are using the “USB devices”, not “debug methods” view in VisualGDB Debug Settings, so VisualGDB can check and install the missing drivers. If not, this could be as easy as a missing USB driver for ST-Link.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.