Import directory ESP32

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Import directory ESP32

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mattia
    Participant

Hello,

I’m currently using VisualGDB 5.4 on an ESP32 device. I can import folders with embedded project, but with ESP32 project I can’t add new folders to the project. I can add them to some of the folder created (bootloader, Source files, ecc), but I can’t add them like in embedded project. Is there a way to import a folder with some libraries into an ESP32 project?

Thank you,

Mattia

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, the “import folder recursively” command is not supported for advanced projects yet. If you meant a different command, we can help you figure it out, but first please let us know the email associated with your license key so that we could check your support status.

mattia
    Participant

The mail is associated to “cristiano (dot) sostero (at) gmail (dot) com”.

What I need is to add a folder which includes my graphic library. I don’t know what is the best solution for it, if you can help me, it would be high appreciate.

Mattia

support
    Keymaster

No problem and thanks for confirming your license.

The ESP-IDF projects use a different structure than the regular VC++ projects (ESP-IDF maintains a list of source folders and will automatically include all sources from each source folder).

If you want to add an existing folder with multiple files to VisualGDB, there are 2 ways to do so:

1. Simply right-click on the project in Solution Explorer and click “Add -> Existing Item”. Then select multiple source files at once. This will add the current directory with the files to the list of ESP-IDF source directories. They will be compiled with your project, but will physically reside in the original folder.
    2. Alternatively, right-click at the Source Files folder (or any subfolder) and select “Add -> New Folder”. This will create a new physical subfolder (you can see its full path via the VS Properties window). Copy the external source files to that subfolder using Windows Explorer and add them to the project via Add->Existing Item. This will automatically update the related ESP-IDF properties and add the files into the project. We will add a command for automatically copying files from an external directory to an existing folder to one of the next VisualGDB releases.
    mattia
    Participant

Hello,

I tried it, and seems to work, but I find it a bit annoying, if there are a lot of directory where to search into. Do you think it could be feasible to modify the component.mk, specifying the source directories and header directories?

Thank you,

Mattia

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, the new ESP-IDF project subsystem is relatively new and is indeed missing support for some advanced use cases. We are working on improving it though.

Editing component.mk will be a reasonable workaround. Simply reload the project afterwards and VisualGDB will automatically update Solution Explorer.

mattia
    Participant

Hello,

Dont worry, I find VisualGDB a really good addon.

For component.mk, could you help me in how should I edit the file?

Suppose for example I have a library, with some header and source files, organized in subdirectories, in c:\library\mylib . What step should I follow in component.mk to install all header and source files with their subdirectories?

Thank you,

Mattia

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

First of all, please try adding the sources from the root directory of your library via Add->Existing item. VisualGDB will automatically add the correct relative path to the COMPONENT_SRCDIRS statement in component.mk, e.g.:

COMPONENT_SRCDIRS += ../../../../library

Then you can modify it to include all necessary subdirectories, e.g.:

COMPONENT_SRCDIRS += ../../../../library \
    ../../../../library/subdir1 \
    ../../../../library/subdir2
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.