How to Import a Makefile Project

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB How to Import a Makefile Project

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Taisen
    Participant

Hi VisualGDB, I have a toughGFX sample project, which only provide three options sample code, IRA, KEIL and GCC, I am feeling GCC will more easier to import into VisualGDB, which including a gcc Linker file and a Make file, I don’t want use Keil’s compiler, could you give me some hint how to convert the this makefile project into VisualGDB Project? Do I need to change the Linker filer as well?

I attached this folder as reference, yes, they reference to other folders, but that just a link to other resources, I would like know if that is possible to convert this GCC file into VisualGDB project.

Looking forward to hearing back from your team.

Best

Taisen

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you already have a Makefile for the GCC compiler, you can simply select “import a project built with command line tools” in the VisualGDB project wizard and it will create a wrapper project that will invoke GNU Make to build it. It won’t have a 2-way synchronization between the settings in the Makefile (e.g. list of source files) and the Visual Studio project, but would be extremely easy start with.

Another approach would be to extract the list of source files and the build settings (like header search paths) from the Makefile and manually enter it into a VisualGDB project (we recommend using creatinga new MSBuild-based project for your device to begin with). This requires a bit extra effort, but would get a 100% integrated development experience (e.g. adding a new preprocessor macro or changing optimization level would immediately take effect for both IntelliSense and build).

If you encounter any problems along the way, feel free to post the details here and we will help.

Taisen
    Participant

Thanks for the answer, but still don’t completely understand it. “Import a project built with command-line tools” has four options,

1, Generate a new MSBuild Project,

2, Genereate a Makefile to build the project,

3, Import a CMake project,

4, Secify a build command line manually

First three options will all create a Makefile and 2ways synchronization, I would like using the makefile generated from them, if that possible? BTW, I need to generate the image file in to a seperate bin file, and flash it into QSPI flash, is that possible to do that?

Thanks

Best

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you want to generate a project with 2-way synchronization, we recommend using MSBuild (the first option). However please note that it will not automatically import all of the settings like preprocessor macros, so you would need to specify them manually after importing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.