How can I link a static library to my ESP IDF Project

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB How can I link a static library to my ESP IDF Project

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aloysius_Pendergast
    Participant

How can I add an own precompiled static library ( e.g. myLib.a ) to a project in visualGDB? I do not mean IDF components! Is there a simple way to do that?

Thanks for helping!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

For ESP-IDF projects, VisualGDB merely provides a GUI for editing common ESP-IDF statements. If you need help with finding a particular setting, please first refer to the ESP-IDF documentation so that you will know what exact ESP-IDF statement you will need to modify, and in which way. Once you confirm that it works, we can help you find a VisualGDB setting that corresponds to it.

Aloysius_Pendergast
    Participant

The ESP IDF build system is a mess, to understand it in detail is like to make a  university degree. It is much mor difficult than the controller itself  I want to code for. I want not to spend my time in studying CMake, Python, Ninja and whatever. My hope and assumption were that VisualGDB does the work for me like other IDE’s do.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you believe another IDE works better, you can do a very simple experiment:

• Create/open a similar ESP-IDF-based project with another IDE
    • Get the library working there
    • See what exact changes to CMakeLists.txt that other IDE did
    • Port those changes to your VisualGDB-based project

But, realistically, IDE settings come from the underlying project types, so as long as you keep using ESP-IDF, the settings will look very similar in any IDE, and will translate to the same ESP-IDF parameters.

In general, we try to be as transparent as possible with the scope of our technical support. VisualGDB can save you time by automating common routine tasks, but it cannot replace the knowledge and understanding of the underlying frameworks and technologies. If you find ESP-IDF too complex, you can try another device or framework, but it’s up to you to study it sufficiently.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.