CodeExplorer issues

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB CodeExplorer issues


This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  support 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #32823



    I’m having some issues with getting the code explorer to … well do anything. After updating to 5.6r6 it was showing constantly the “open source file” something something message despite c/cpp/h files being opened. After a bit of fiddling i gave up on it, so i disabled the automatic CodeExplorer popup which resulted in it showing constantly the “Code explorer is not active because no compatible projects are loaded” which is quite puzzling.

    Do you have any advice what should i do to get it running? Or are there any additional prerequisites i need to install besided the newest VGDB version?



    Unfortunately, it is hard to suggest anything specific based on the description you provided.
    In order for us to provide any help with this, we need to be able to reproduce the problem on our side.
    Please provide complete and detailed steps to reproduce the issue as described below:

    1. The steps should begin with launching Visual Studio. They should include every step necessary to create the project from scratch and reproduce the issue.
    2. Please make sure the steps do not involve any 3rd-party code as we will not be able to review it. If the problem only happens with a specific project, please make sure you can reproduce it on a clean project created from scratch.
    3. The steps should include uncropped screenshots of all wizard pages, VisualGDB Project Properties pages and any other GUI involved in reproducing the problem. This is critical for us to be able to reproduce the problem on our side.

    You can read more about the best way to report VisualGDB issues in our problem reporting guidelines, If you do not wish to document the repro steps and save the screenshots, please consider recording a screen video instead and sending us a link to it.

    Please note that many VisualGDB issues are caused by selecting an incompatible combination of settings at some point. We are generally not able to review specific projects and find the specific settings that were set incorrectly. We recommend checking the projects into source control and keeping a track of all changed settings to avoid breaking the projects.

    You can also try checking various diagnostic output from various parts of VisualGDB as described on this page. Although we won’t be able to review it for a specific project unless the we can reproduce the problem from scratch, checking it might provide some clues on what is causing the unexpected behavior.


    Rob Belcham

    I had exactly the same problem. In my case, it’s because I also use VisualAssist and so have the “Regular VC++ IntelliSense” option selected in the IntelliSense settings page. If I switch to “Advanced Clang IntelliSense” then the Code Explorer populates, but I loose the VisualAssist buttons and so I cannot take advantage of the Code Explorer which is a shame.




    Indeed, since Visual Assist relies on the regular VC++ IntelliSense engine, it won’t work with the projects using Clang IntelliSense. And disabling Clang IntelliSense naturally disables all features provided by it, such as Code Explorer.

    That said, if you miss specific functionality from VisualAssist that is not provided by the Clang IntelliSense, feel free to use let us know. We might be able to add it to one of the future versions of VisualGDB.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.